Disclaimer: All work shared in this post is property of ©2013 Soul Dev Team. Anybody wishing to share this work is freely allowed to, provided they give credit to the original creators, and link back to this post.

amd_mac
Alright, here it is. We’ve now set up an image which works on AMD processors, based on OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2. This build is still currently a test build in order to figure out exactly which are and are not working, but it wouldn’t be being available if a majority of AMD processors didn’t work. This build can also be used by people with Intel processors (in the same way as previous builds) and as such, the older links for the 10.8.2 image will be removed. This release of the OS X Mountain Lion VMware Image for AMD comes off the back of five days of testing by people on various processors, almost all (95% currently, still waiting to hear back from a few) worked perfectly.

Now it’s important to stress that there are known issues with this build (when using the AMD kernel). To start with there are significant graphics issues in the VM. They aren’t present when just running the VM, meaning you can’t notice anything but there is a knock-on effect or two. For example, VMware Tools is essentially a no-go. It may work for some of you, depending on processor and so on (we haven’t tracked down which yet), but if you’re going to try install it make sure you take a snapshot of your VM first. Of course, Intel users can use VMware Tools as normal and as such we’ve placed the latest version here for you to download. One issue that is shared across both kernels is that Launchpad will freeze and bug a bit when you try to use it (I’ve shown this in the video further down the page).

The AMD kernel being used is the AnV kernel which is the result of work from a lot of people in the Hackintosh community over the last few months. If you’re interested in seeing how the kernel advanced (generally) you can visit the original discussion, although a lot of the input came over the IRC channel. We changed a few things to get stuff to play nicely with the virtual platform, in order to get it working as well as possible, and it looks like we’ll have to modify some more before we get universal success.

Anyway, I’m sure you’re anxious to download it so you can see the changelog and download links below. Make sure to watch the video due to how you use the image as it differs to the previous versions. As usual, we appreciate all donations in order to fund our continued efforts, especially seeing how long this took to get working!

OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 VMware Image w/ AMD Support Changelog

- Apple dropped support for 32-bit mode in DP2 of Mountain Lion, so make sure
you keep the VMware Settings flagged as “Mac OS X 10.7 64-bit” otherwise
no bootable medium will be detected.
- Comes with direct download links as usual. (Will be added soon)
- Continued new packaging for smaller download.
- Fast boot time on most machines, as can be seen in the video.
- Fresh installation of 10.8.2, everything was fixed during the installation.
- Kernel includes support for Ivy Bridge processors, along with AMD processors
meaning most of your Apple screen issues will be gone.
- List of AMD processors to get working (strikeout means working), will be
updated according to what we hear back from people:

A4-5300
A6-3400M
A8-3500M
A8-3510MX
A8-3870M
A10-4600M
Athlon 64 X2 QL-64
Athlon 64 X2 QL-65
Athlon II Neo K124
Athlon II X3
Athlon II X3 450
E-350
FX4100
FX6100 (run with Intel VT-X and AMD-V set)
FX8120 (run with AMD-V/RVI set)
FX8150
FX8350
K325
Phenom 9750
Phenom II X2 550 (still slightly buggy, but runs)
Phenom II X2 555
Phenom II X2 950 (still slightly buggy, but runs)
Phenom II X4 810
Phenom II X4 955
Phenom II X$ 955LE
Phenom II X4 965
Phenom II X4 970
Phenom II x4 975
Phenom II X6 1055T
Phenom II X6 1090T
Phenom II X6 1100T
Turion II M500

- Make sure VT is turned on in your BIOS, if available.
- Now contains ability to change the serial number in the VM. Just start it
using this file, and use the SMBIOS Injector. Note that this is only safe
on Intel systems for now.
- Recommended you run on the latest version of VMware, as that’s what it was
tested on, and apparently fixes Apple logo stalling in certain situations.
At least try to use VMware 8+.
- Several driver patches to allow as best a universal build as possible.
- Snappier system. Clicks receive response almost (if not) instantaneously.
- We uploaded an updated VMware Tools to our Mediafire folder here. These
tools came with the latest VMware release and support Mountain Lion.

As you can see, there are a bunch of changes in this build even if not all have been included. Underneath you can find the setup guide video to show you how it all needs to be setup for it to work correctly. It’s important you take note, because we won’t answer any questions that are already answered in the video, and it details exactly how to enable/disable the AMD/Intel kernels:

If you wish to download the OS X Mountain Lion VMware Image for AMD via torrent, you can grab it from here. As promised, I’m including direct links as well this time around, but you’ll have to deal with the fact that they will be slower than the torrent, even though I have now paid for faster speeds. You can find the direct links here soon.

When commenting, especially on AMD stuff, if you act in a way that’s complaining rather than being helpful your comment will be ignored. Please also try to avoid duplicating other comments, as posting the same answers over and over again is frustrating. I encourage all AMD users to post which processor they’re using and how it’s performing (if it’s not in the list above, or is acting differently to how our list suggests it does) so we can add it to the post. If you wish to donate for our efforts, you can visit our donation link. We appreciate any and all donations, and will put them to good use.

1. Shiv says:

first of all thanks for this wrk.
    I ve been waiting for this since 5 days.
    thanks for the rply.
    By the way I ve AMD A4 3330MX processor.
    Will it have the capability to run your VM?
    thanks in advance ..
    thanks waiting for ur rply :)

2. donsedin says:

I just want to report that amd phenom II 1055t won’t work, if U want i can send log from vmware.

3. donsedin says:

Disabled cpu by guet Os, i am using vmware 9, and tried next otions:
    virutalization engine: autoamtic, amv-v, amd-v/rvi
    change to 10.8 in options

4. Shiv says:

I ve AMD A4 3330MX processor.
    Will it have the capability to run your VM?

5. silo says:

This works on my AMD 8350 8core cpu. And VM workstartion 9 windows 7 64 bit.

6. neverno says:

glad to see this release out after a test which i told part in, and i hope VMware Tools can works fine using AMDs someday.

7. nanatrex says:

I cant find “OS X Mountain Lion VMware Image for AMD” via torrent link.
    Is the New DP4 Image is for AMD ?

8. Tomi says:

I just installed VMsvga2 and everythings a bit faster

9. Wyber says:

Have it running (little unstable) on Asus Formula IV, AMD T1090 x6, hd7850.

When I install VMware tools from darwin iso and from zip, i get a kernel panic at reboot.

10. Nikolai says:

Hi Zack, I have an AMD Phenom II X4 970 and a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 MOBO with VMWare Workstation 9. I was able to run, create an account, and boot up into 10.8 under AMD-B/RVI virtualization. It freezes after a few minutes, maybe 3-5? I’ve tried waiting 10 minutes for it to let up but it doesn’t. On another note, I can’t shut it down traditionally, that just makes it freeze while shutting down; I have to turn it off via VMWare. I’ve yet to install VMWare Tools. Thank you for giving me hope for OS X with AMD support, been trying really hard to get any version of OS X to work for the past few weeks and I just about gave up at 1 am tonight; then as if a mirage, I saw this. You’ve given me hope my good man. Please tell me if there’s anything I can do to help; I don’t know to attach crash logs or any diagnostic information.

11. SavageThor says:

M5A97 LE R2.0 with 32GB ram and an FX-8350 works
    I see the issues noted in the video about the graphics with amd. but it still works.

12. nanatrex says:

I ve AMD A4 3330MX processor.
    Installed!!!
    BUT When i power on it stuck in apple logo(not even loading icon)
    I also changed the processor setting as
    Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI.
    Pls kindly give me a reply regarding this.

13. kallumlavigne says:

working fine apart from laggyness on my compaq pressario cq61 thank you !

14. DonCharisma says:

Hi there, an epic frustrating journey to get VM of Max OS X onto my AMD pc, finally I have up and running with this build – thankyou !

I am using AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition part # HDE00ZFBGRBOX, Zotac Mini Itx M/B 890GX-ITX WiFi and Windows 7 SP1 x64 8GB Ram.

I had to up the RAM to 4GB to make it work, otherwise it just freezes (Tried with 1GB and 2GB)

I would have liked some guidance on which exact version of VMware workstation to use, and would still like to know which you recommend. (I am using 8.0.3 build 703057)

I tried version 9, but couldn’t get your hardware unlocker to work and wasn’t sure whether the guest OS unlock would work. Your additional tools great, but seem out of date ?

Have only opened a few apps, not used OS X before so quite excited !

Personally I prefer Virtualbox as it’s lighter weight-wise and obviously free, so really would be nice to see working on Virtualbox. Installed VMWare for this specific purpose and still not sold on it.

I wanted OS X on my machine because my iTunes match keeps crashing on my PC when I am trying to upload with iTunes match, hopefully this will solve (another 5 month epic saga !)…

Anyway, great work, I honestly really appreciate it, thanks very very much…

Use whichever VMware you can, although you are correct in saying the Hardware tool doesn’t work with 9. That’s maintained by Cubez though, not us.

15. aris90x says:

worked but after reboot I get (The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. Power off or reset the virtual machine) plsss help me how to fix :P

AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 645 Processor 3.10 GHz

16. Jean says:

Thanks for your wonderful work, here’s some feedback.

Worked right of the box on Packard Bell EasyNote TR83 using VMware Workstation 8.0.3

Settings

1. Unlocked VMware Workstation using only “install.cmd” in VMware Unlocker – Mac OS X Guest –> VMware 8.x Series –> VMware Workstation Unlocker – Windows.
    Didn’t have to use VMware Unlocker – Hardware Virtualization Bypasser and patch vmware-vmx.exe.
    2. In VM folder, ran “amd-kernel.cmd”, then launched virtual machine
    3. Kept VMware Settings flagged as “Mac OS X 10.7 64-bit”
    4. Set Virtualization engine settings to Intel VT-x or AMD-V
    5. Increased RAM to 2GB

Powered on VM

1. NAT connection , mouse working, sound, all working
    2. Screen resolution 1024X768, cannot be changed
    3. Identified software updates and installed following recommended updated from USB:
    - OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Supplemental Update (Oct 4, 2012), success, reboot VM, successfull
    - Safari 6.0.2, success, no reboot required
    - iTunes 11.0.1, success, no reboot required
    4. Successfully installed VMware tools then rebooted, KERNEL PANIC, so no VMware tools features, too bad !

Issues:

- Unable to install VMware tools (Install VMware Tools.zip) from Mediafire folder (kernel panic)
    - Cannot revert to snapshot taken prior to proceeding to setup (access not allowed), created copy of VM folder just in case

Host specifications:

- Win 7 Ultimate x64
    - AMD Athlon 64 X2 QL-65
    - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570
    - ATI High Definition Audio Device
    - VIA High Definition Audio
    - Atheros AR5B91 Wireless

• Jean says:

Update: managed to install VMware tools (workaround)

- Powered off VM and mounted “darwin_snow_legacy.iso” (for Mac OS X 10.6.2 – 10.6.8) as CD/DVD IDE
      - Powered on VM and installed VMware tools from within mounted CD/DVD
      - Install went fine, however installer hanged for quite a long time when it reached about 95% of the install process (Installing scripts …)
      - Just let it run for a few more minutes, then powered off VM (from VM menu) and powered on again
      - Tools were actually successfully installed: “VMware shared folders” icon on desktop, screen resolutions availablee, drag&drop, copy/paste

Hope this helps

• Mason says:

I can confirm this method works no problem at all.

Only difference i did i let it install until the restart stage, then powered off VM.

Powered back on all running fine, using shared folders as we speak.

Awesome update to the Mac OSX virtulization and thanks again for suppling us all this.

My only problem now is having better sound output as its very choppy at present.

• neverno says:

power off and mount “darwin_snow_legacy.iso”—ok
        power on—ok
        select VMware Tools—error
        “The CPU has been disable by the guest operation system. Power off or reset the virtual machine.”
        Win 7 Ultimate x32
        AMD X3 425
        VMware 9.x

• Irishtiger says:

OK, on AMD Athlon II x4 and Windows 7 Ultimate 64, I was able to install VMware 8.0.3, made the changes outlined in the videos and the install worked. I really wanted vmware tools here, and I read this workaround, but I don’t understand it. Darwin_snow_legacy doesn’t contain the vmware tools normally (I’m a hackintosher). Is this an ISO that is included with the build, or what? I’m a bit confused by this post.

• Irishtiger says:

Nevermind, found http://www.robservatory.com/?p=809 and it works like a charm. Can’t thank you all enough for letting me develop my iOS apps in peace on my AMD-V equipped box.

• XL5 says:

Wow, it works! 10X, Jean! It is a bit laggy, but I have an Hackintosh :D

AMD Phenom XII 545
        Gigabyte GA MA 785GT UD3H
        Integrated ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics (DirectX10.1)
        12 GB RAM

• carl says:

“I already installed the tools and then rebooted and got a kernel panic that wouldn’t go away, so I found your post too late. It was still helpful, though. Here’s what I did.

1. Boot into single user mode by rebooting the VM and quickly giving focus to the screen and holding Command-S. If you don’t do this quick enough, you’ll miss the window of opportunity.

2. Once you get the root prompt, type: /sbin/mount -uw /
        to mount the drive with write permissions

3. cd to /Library/Application Support/VMWare Tools

4. Delete the files you mention and then edit the services.sh file using vi and make the changes you noted.

I was able to get it to boot and the tools seem to be working correctly.

Thanks.

Seems to work. I take no credit. See post http://www.robservatory.com/?p=809

17. DavidSchrader says:

My first comment was deleted with no response. Really just looking for an answer. The torrent is still not matching the hash you state on YouTube.

I see all these comments that people have it working and am wondering where they got the complete download.

Reaaly sucks downloading 4.40gb 3 times now for 3kb of missing files. Please advise.

Check the hash of the torrent on our site is ac28fca5ca8edf8668ea40bfc20bec29. There was a weird cache issue causing the old one to be displayed. That should be fixed now.

Edit: Sorry, I removed the comment before because I thought it was fixed – I also thought I’d replied :p

• David says:

Thank you very much Zack! Installed and running smooth on my FX8150 with Radeon 7770 card.

Installed the SVGA from your tools sight and I have full 1080p.

Thank you for all your hard work.

• Simon K Bhattacharya says:

Hi there first I’m very happy to see my AMD FX 8150 processor is on the list.. Congratulations .. to all of you who make it happen…
        I’m thrilled & wanting to test it on my rig.. & have started to download the torrent as mention on the link: http://www.souldevteam.net/blog/downloads/ & Under OS X Mountain Lion VMware Images: I chose OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 VMware Image (http://adf.ly/1421644/www.tiny.cc/mountain-lion-1082-image)
        So here’s my doubt… as mentioned above the hash it shows on the INFO TAB on my µTorrent application is different as 7CEF22EAD238C7CFAD92E1D426FDD853A10F6D92
        so I’M JUST CONCERNED ..As far as I have clicked on the links mentioned on the blog I hope everything is fine…& I’m downloading the right file.. you its the excitement to run it on my AMD rig. :P
        Any inputs for the hash?
        Nevertheless its currently downloading with 293 seeds upon 675+peers (as expected ;) )

I didn’t post a torrent hash, rather an MD5 of the actual torrent file. Check that :)

• Simon K Bhattacharya says:

opps… no issues, sorry abt that.. But HEY!!! It works The Bloody thing works… yeppie .. thanks a million… You are a LEGEND… yES MAN YOU ROCK.. AWESOME RELEASE. Thanks one again, as for gratitude I couldn’t make a donation But I subscribed to updates, following you in twitter & did clicked a couple ads.. would be doing it when I’m here.. hehe.. Thanks Once again.

18. Jayson says:

Hey I was just wondering how Can I adjust the resolution after getting it to work. If you have a topic on this already could you link me?

19. Naki says:

Zack, you are already probably tired of me now, BUT I need a working VMware Workstation 9.0.1 image of Mac OS X 10.6.8!!
    I need this badly, I can’t run it for an year now.
    CPU – Intel Core i7.
    Host OS – Windows 7 64-bit, SP1, Ultimate.
    Thanks for any ideas!
    It just shows the spinning dash (black/white) and dies there.

• Naki says:

My Mac OS X 10.5, 10.7, 10.8 VMs work fine.

What’s the issue with our 10.6.8 VM?

• Naki says:

I already said it:
        On powering it on, it just shows the spinning dash (black/white) and dies there.

It used to work with VMware Workstation 8.x, but I have 9.0.1 VMware Workstation now.

• Naki says:

The 10.6 Mac OS X VMware image build seems to be Build 7.3.0708.

What?

• Naki says:

What what??
            The VM description says:
            [Build 7.3.0708]

- Make sure to run the correct VMware Unlocker for your version of VMware before running this machine.
            - Hardware Virtualization Bypasser is included.
            - Booting from .iso isn’t required, however they’re provided just in case.
            - Any Touchpad/USB issues have been fixed, along with PCI errors.
            - Apple Software Updates fully supported, although check in advance of Combo Updates
            - Take a snapshot before any drastic changes
            - Report any ongoing problems or any newly discovered fixes to (your email address)

I dunno what you’ve done, the build is universal. Nobody has issues with that build.

• Naki says:

It worked for me too. Before. Now it does not. I even tried a new fresh extract from the 7-zip file. Please help me get this working!
                Could it be a videocard issue? I have an NVidia GeForce GTX 670 videocard, with 2 GB of videoRAM.

• theconnactic says:

It could well be your CPU: if it’s an Ivy Bridge processor, you have to take in mind Ivy Bridge support came to OSX very recently.

Best regards!

• Naki says:

Addition:
        There is a big Apple logo above the spinning dashes. After 2-3 minutes, the dashes stop spinning, and I can move the mouse pointer around, but there is no desktop or menus.
        (The mouse pointer is black with a white border).

20. Alex says:

Works fine with AMD Athlon ii x3!
    Maybe a little laggy but that is because i gave it 1gig of ram since my PC has 2 gigs.Waiting for an other 2gig stick to come!
    I made a post for this tutorial on my website.
    I gave credits:)

21. Nigleet says:

“The CPU has been disabled by the Guest operating system.”

Processor: AMD A10-4600M 2.3GHz

Tried Setting:

Virtualization Engine
    -Automatic
    -AMD-V
    -AMD-V/RVI

Guest OS:
    10.8 64bit
    10.7 64bit

Any suggestions?

22. donsedin says:

I just want to report that now vm is working.So i changed back from 9 to 8.3 Vm and mac booted up it is a bit buggy but it is working, so u can ad phenom II 1005t as working and thank you for this

• Nigleet says:

So just to confirm, the issue was resolved simply by rolling back to VMware 8.3? No other settings, aside from the ones in the instructions, were needed to be changed?

And might I ask, what exactly is buggy for you?

Thanks!

23. donsedin says:

edit: it is 1055t NOT 1005t

24. victor says:

Thanks man! It’s working great on my laptop.

Iam running an Amd A8-3510MX.

Tried to install the VMWare tools, to try
    if I am the lucky one where it works. But
    he didn’t liked that, so now rolled back to snapshot
    without the tools!

Only thing i need to figure out is to get my internet
    connection working on it! :)

25. fulano says:

installed VMware tools successfuly but the AMD kernel freaked out at boot up

• Simon K Bhattacharya says:

Same here… used the darwin.iso file in the tools folder, installed VMware tools successfully & got “kernel panic” after reboot, so reverted back to snapshot & used Chameleon-2.1-r2069.iso mount the disk.. & installed VMware tools.. System became unresponsive but I left it running for 15 mins then did a reset from VMware menu… & VOILA I’m able to use the share folder from my host. You can download the iso from: http://chameleon.osx86.hu/file_download/42/Chameleon-2.1-r2069.iso.zip
      Thanks once again to the author & developer LEGENDARY “Zack Whitfield” All Hail Zack :) :-D

• JVene says:

I apologize in advance, but I laughed when I read that and I thought you and others might laugh at ME for thinking this:

To me that sounded like:

Well, the surgery was a success, but unfortunately the patient died.

26. Danrar says:

Works fine on my Turion II M500

27. kallumlavigne says:

is there anyway to make the resolution bigger?!

28. Aldas says:

I have:

AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE
    4 GB RAM
    Windows 7 64-bit
    VMWare Workstation 9 with Unlocker
    Activated AMD-V in BIOS
    2 GB RAM allocated to VM
    Both CPU cores allocated to VM

I have tried setting all of the virtualization modes: Automatic, AMD-V and AMD-V/RVI and I have also tried setting both 10.8 and 10.7 Mac 64-bit.
    The system, in my opinion, is quite unstable, especially if trying running in full screen mode or trying to use the Internet. The machine often hangs, forcing me to reboot. The boot time is manageable (1-2 minutes) and the setup procedure worked fine (setting the keyboard layout, time zone and etc.) All in all, this is a fantastic piece of software, however it’s quite buggy and unstable for me at the moment.

29. Mac says:

AMD Athlon II Dual-Core p360 (Caspien)
    Doesn’t really run that well, freezes alot. Safari work’s, don’t know if games are supposed to work but downloaded some racing game and another game and they didn’t work. Couldn’t get the hardware to work (webcam)

30. Joey says:

Get vmsvga2 from sourceforge for more display resolution options.

31. dingla says:

hey can u tell me how to restart the hoost on vmware workstation 9 because i cant use my keyboard and my mouse please reply asap

32. Victor says:

Hey, why my comment got deleted?
    Just wanted to let you know that’s working on an AMD A8-3510MX
    mobile processor.
    But don’t install VMware tools. It won’t work.

33. BuzRocks says:

Works good AMD Phenom II x2 555, I am using GTX285 Graphics so Vmware tools is no go for me.

34. BuzRocks says:

I was able to get Vmware Tools installed by following this advice:

35. Franek says:

Hi !

Under VMware Workstation 9 (Win7 x64) and with AMD Phenom II x4 975 this is the first image of MAC OS X that worked perfectly from sratch. Sound, Internet, Printer, Scanner – everything nice so far !! Even all 4 cores are identified and running …

But trouble with VMware Tools – the install but after re-boot the kernel is broken. Tried different versions of darwin.iso, all produce the same error.

Wouldn’t it be possible to pre-install the VMware Tools into the OSX-image before using it in VMware ?? That might solve the problem which seems to occur to other users as well …

Nevertheless: great work. Many Thanks !!!

Regards, Franek

That wouldn’t make a difference, because it gets loaded on boot. Have you tried vmSVGA?

• Franek says:

Hi !

Thanks for the hint – installed vmSVGA (using GeForce GTX 550 Ti) now and resolution is perfect, speed is fast enough for internet and office apps …
        So I am very happy and will not need VMware Tools.

Thanks again for the great job and kind support,
        regards, Franek

• Franek says:

My experience so far with this release:

Configuration:

AMD Phenom II x4 975
          Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti
          8 GB RAM
          Windows 7 x64
          VMware Workstation 9

1) After installing VMware Workstation 9 (without any unlocker or any patches)
          I just run amd-kernel.cmd as administrator.
          2) Then I added the VM and increased memory to 4 GB as the one and only
          modification.
          3) The VM was running nearly perfectly: internet, USB printer and USB scanner,
          sound, recognising my iPhone etc.pp. – only the screen resolution for my 27″ was
          little bit poor.
          4) So I tried VMware Tools – Kernel crashed when booting.
          5) I installed vmVGA II and screen resolution was adjustable to my preferences.
          6) Finally I wanted shared files and tried another version of darwin.iso:
          i.e. darwin_snow_legacy.iso (also without modification of any files) – it gave
          me shared hard disks and folders.

Speed was very nice from the beginning (I think even fasten than the original)
          and now everything I ever wished is working fine. So this is a perfect solution for me,
          especially since I tried so many other releases which were not working with the AMD
          processor at all.

Big hand to ZackehSoul and the SoulDevTeam !!!

Regards, Franek

36. Max says:

Please help, i did this on my intel i3 laptop got flickering and youtube wont work, maybe its flash player, so tried with amd pc 3.0ghz and 1 gb dedicated graphics and i get same problem what am i doing wrong. Also lots of flikering lag is not to bad just graphics seem to struggle, processor is AMD Athlon II X3 440 Graphics 9500GT 1 GB, Ram 2GB

37. dingla says:

hey can u make an video on mac osc mountain lion on amd pc not in vmware that would be really good thnx

38. nerosix says:

A10-4600M Working with:

AMD-RVI
    # of Processors = 2
    # of Cores = 2

Otherwise errors will arise, such as CPU disabled by guest OS, Etc.

39. John says:

FX-4100 Confirmed working.
    works for me!

40. Jayson says:

Running AMD phenom II x6 1045T and keep getting it to freeze up. Did anyone else have this problem and fix it? Or something I can do to try to fix this issue

41. Bee says:

When the VM starts up, I get a message saying

“unsuccessful.
    EFI VMware Virtual IDE CDROM Drive (IDE 1:)…unsuccessful
    EFI Network…”

It then hangs for a few minutes and I get dumped at a shell prompt.

Any ideas?

42. Adam says:

Hi, im using HP Pavilion G6, 8GB RAM, AMD E2, Will this work?

43. Simon K Bhattacharya says:

CONFIRMED WORKING!!! AWESOME RELEASE FROM THE LEGEND OF HAKINT0SH!

HOST OS :Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit) with VMware 9.0
    CPU :AMD FX 8150 8 Core Zambezi AM3+ Socket
    Mainboard:ASrock 990FX extreme3
    RAM :2x4GB DD3 Corsair Dual Channel
    GPU :nvidia geforce 8800GT 512MB

Sound Works, Display is Good, Internet Works… w(o_o)w
    This is my FIRST Hakint0sh… well did tried a couple of vmdf & torrents of 10.8, 10.7.3 & 10.6.2 & none of them worked on my AMD PC & I almost gave until the I saw this post.. (.)
    Thanks to the LEGENDARY “Zack Whitfield” All Hail Zack :) :P
    Keep up the extreme excellent work.

44. Jenn says:

This is working great so far, a bit laggy but not much more than any VM really. The only change I made to the settings was to increase the memory to 4GB.

Self-built PC
    AMD Phenom II X2 550 3.10GHz
    8G Ram
    ECS IC780M-A2 (V1.0A) AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    VMware Workstation 8 Build 434829

Now if I can just figure out how to install the VMware tools…this is my first experience with any Mac OS =)

• Jenn says:

Okay figured out the vmware tools install. But the guest OS doesn’t boot after installing them; I get stuck in an endless rebooting loop. Any ideas on how to fix this?

45. ABHI says:

Hi I have an amd athlon 64 bit desktop(older)…and a ASUS k8vmx motherboard. I have 1.5gb of ram installed and there is no hardware virtualisation support. Can I still use it?? If no can u tell me any option?? I need to do some programming in xcode and cant afford a new pc now….Any help is highly appreciated…Thanks….

46. Paul says:

It now works :)

AMD 1055T, no crashes etc.

Processors: 1
    Cores: 4
    RAM: 4GB

VMWare tools needed this guide: http://www.robservatory.com/?p=809

47. zacticusprime says:

I’ve exausted all options trying to get sound to work, really out of them. Is there any other way? I’ve installed the Voodoo driver, but still no change.

Try Ensoniq, or HDAEnabler.

• Eric says:

FYI,

There is a sound stutter issue in the Apple
        OS. This occurs on MACs, non-Mac, hosts, guests, VM workstation, player, AMD/Intel.

OS V10.8.3 release should fix this. Voodoo, Ensoniq, HDA’s won’t. Sit tight for Apple V10.8.3!

48. Hi All

Trying to get OSX Lion 10.8.2 Vmware image to work on:

Host : Ubuntu 12.04 3.2.0-37-generic
    CPU : AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor
    RAM: 8 Gbytes
    Video : NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
    VMware Workstation 9.0.1 build-894247

I get the Mac boot splash and that is it

Help me please

49. Mason says:

Hello MrZackehhSoul!
    After I installed VMWare tools I got a kernal panic I made a backup so I was still able to use the machine. Im not using a Nvidia graphics card I am using a AMD Radeon 6450. You can note down that is is also working on the AMD FX 6100 now but only with the Intel VT-X and AMD-V checked. How can I fix my resolution or Vmware tools to fix my resolution and drivers?
    Thank you!
    Regards,
    Mason

50. Keith says:

If you want to get VMTools to work, use this guide: http://www.robservatory.com/?p=809

works like a charm.

51. toni says:

why all of content from the archiver can not be extracted,,

52. DFYX says:

Not working on “AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor 3.01 GHz”, host OS is Windows 7 64 bit.

Right after the Apple logo I get a black screen and the VM shuts down a minute later.

The log doesn’t show anything special except “Bluetooth host backend not available.” and some unsupported SCSI operations.

53. VortexMK says:

Thanks!

Working on AMD Phenom X4 955 BE!

54. silo says:

Ok so i got Max/full screen resolution running x2 gtx 560 in sli at 1920×1080 it looks sweet all i did was install vmSVGA and i was good to go.

AMD 8350
    GTX 560 x2
    RAM 12 GB
    SSD crucial M4 120 GB
    Windows 7

55. Ivo says:

Confirmed working on an AMD Phenom II X4 965 (Black) with NVIDIA Geforce GTX 560 graphics. Memory had to be set to a minmum of 2GB for it to stop freezing. Virtualisation engine for me had to stay set to automatic.
    Installed vmSVGA2. Installed the VMware tools from the chameleon 2.1 package. All working.
    Thank you very much for you work and effort!

• Alex says:

I have the same processor and can’t seem to get it working no matter what I try.

It’s nice to see that at least some of the amd processors are supported, keep up the good work.

• Alex says:

I managed to get it working, the problem was that the .bat couldn’t replace the nvmram because it was in use.

Works like a charm, I had to give it some extra ram (I gave it 4) to stop it freezing.

I also installed vmSVGA driver.
        20 min have passed and it didn’t freeze yet.

Specs:

AMD Phenom 965 Black Edition
        RAM – 8GB
        Video – AMD Radeon HD6790
        Motherboard – Asrock 870-EXTREME3 R2.0

56. RockerTJ says:

Thank You ZakehSoul For Your Wonder Work on This..
    Its Working Superbly on My Rig
    Specs:-
    Processor:- AMD Phenom X4 BE
    RAM:- 4GB
    Mother Board:- MSI with 2GB Graphics Card

VMWare Workstation 9.0.0 on Windows 8 32 Bits.
    Installed VMsvga2_v1.2.5_OS_10.6-10.8.pkg. To Resize My Display
    Xcode Works Without any Problems!!!

ZakehSoul May God Bless You…

Many Thanks Again:-)

• Prateek says:

Hi,
      Regarding XCode on VM, the simulator should work fine. Can i build my project on a device also? i mean is the vm able to recognise the device and handle it?

57. Dan says:

Mr. ZackehSoul,

First, nice tutorials and good work. Easy to follow and clear instructions, obviously, a lot of work.

AMD 9750 – does not work.

VM ware 9.0

amd kernal

Tried every conceivable setting for the virtual machine settings.

“The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. Power off or reset the virtual machine.”

I have had earlier versions of Snow Leopard running in a Virtual Box, so I know it CAN be done, maybe not with VMware?

There’s a massive difference between Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion. VMware is better supported for it than Virtual Box.

58. Vuk says:

I tried on FX 6100 and Intel HD3000 it’s not working it wont boot. I installed unlocker and runned amd_install.cmd as administrator everything went fine but i can’t boot.

59. CapnJoe says:

Works Great on an AMD Athlon II X2 245.

Have not tried VMware Tools yet.

THANK YOU!
    Donation Sent!

60. Tyson says:

Anyone know if this can be used with ESXi (any… but I am on 5.0.1)?

Ok… so I may have answered my own question: http://blogs.vmware.com/guestosguide/2012/09/mac-os-x-10-8-2.html

Trying now… will report back. Proc is Athlon II X4 620.

And… one more follow up in case anyone else wants to try: http://partnerweb.vmware.com/GOSIG/MacOSX_10_8.html

61. Boris M says:

Hello, Zack!

I want to confirm that I was able to boot this image on an AMD Turion II M530. :) You seriously made things for us so much easier. More precisely, these are the specs of my laptop:

AMD Turion II M530 Dual Core 2.3GHz
    ATI Radeon HD 4670
    RAM 4 GB

It’s actually an ASUS N60D notebook so you can always look up more detailed specs if you want. I am running it on VMWare Workstation 8.0.0.

I wasn’t able to test how so far the graphics perform and if they work at all, but if everything is fine, I’ll make sure to donate some money. :)

• Boris M says:

Quick update: The graphics card didn’t really work (showed up as “Display 3 MB”), but after installing VMsvga2, it appeared as 128 MB graphics card which is still incorrect, but things seem smoother. I still seem not to be able to run OpenGL apps, but that may be related to something else and not so cruical.

BTW, I forgot to mention that I am running Win 7 x64 Professional.

62. Ira says:

I was able to get this image working pretty fine in Virtual Box – although I haven’t checked everything yet.

However…no matter what I do, I cannot get /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist to allow me to edit it with resolution info. It has a lock on it… I have copied to the desktop, made my changes, and tried to copy it back to Extra and it says I lack permissions. I have tried terminal commands like:

sudo chflags -R nouchg /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist

…without fail it tells me I cannot unlock the file, and/or I don’t have permission to overwrite it, or delete it and replace it, etc.

I confess I am brand new to Mac use – I just need to learn objective-c… Any input on this issue would rock… All I want to do is match the resolution to my monitor.

63. Kanrid Sharma says:

Videos in itunes play with audio but video is blank/black. Any ideas on how to fix this on intel machine?

64. Mocha says:

VMDK working fine, except some issues with video and sound, where somehow the sound is not sync with the video ( from time to time).
    My specs :
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
    AMD FX 8150 3,6Ghz with watercooling
    8Gigs DDR3 1600Mhz
    Radeon HD5850

65. Blake Howe says:

can report that my HP DV6 laptop runs this perfectly as all other releases would not work. Processor is AMD A8-3530MX, have set the VM to have 8gb ram, mostly everything is working perfect with VMsvga installed for what i want it for including Xcode, one issue i have come across is mostly sound is laggy and youtube is laggy. if anyone has any fixes for that please contact me , thanks heaps

66. Jerry says:

Installed on Phenon II X6 1090t and it works.

I am using a Nvidia Geforce 560Ti graphics card with 24 gigs of ram.

Unfortunately the frame rate is rather choppy and difficult to use. VMtools caused a kernel error which I expected based on previous comments.

I do see where people recommended using VMsvga instead but I don’t know where to get it or how to use it. :/

Any help?

Google it, download it, and install it in the VM.

• Jerry says:

Got it working, sorry I didn’t realize it had to be done from within the VM. I thought it was something that was downloaded and installed via the host.

Can we expect performance based issues to increase in the near future? I know you said there were graphical errors with Nvidia as well as the VM. Right now the VM is working just fine but is rather choppy when using some very simple applications.

As previously stated I have a Phenom II 1090T processor, a GeForce 560Ti graphics card, with 24 gigs of ram. With the VM running, my CPU usage is at 28% and memory usage is at 30%. I’ve alocated the maximum amount of recommended memory to my VM.

It depends on the evolution of the kernel, but everything gets better with time (apart from iPhones!) :p

• Brian says:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/ – download from there went from 1024×768 to full 1920×1080 after reboot, a quick fix before you start messing with VMware tools to get it running right.

67. dra says:

phenom II n640 @2.9ghz

at a laptop (hp g42-475dx model)
    it worked after turn amd-v on in bios.
    Can’t install wmware tools ‘cuz it freeze the system.
    I don’t know if it because I am using vmware 9
    OS x works fine, except no vga, slow, and when sleep, got a white screen.

68. Vipul Anand says:

Awesome, setup was a breeze, besides a few troubles here and there, the vmware tool needs to be mastered, and it is pretty fast and responsive, installed on AMD PHENOM IIx4 955LE chipset, 6gb RAM, 500GB Persistent mode

Thanks a lot Guys!

My key issue with the setup is using the entire screen when in full screen exclusive mode! any hints or links please share!

VMWare tools installation gives BSD and endless reboot loop! SVGA was great made the experience better and freezing issues are literally gone!

Thanks again guys
    VA

69. Jeroen says:

Thanks for sharing.

70. Paul says:

I get this error, hope someone could help me…

VMWare Player
    Windows 7 32-bit
    AMD E-450 APU with Radeon HD Graphics

71. Timelight says:

This is the first AMD vmware image that is working for me! :D . I have a enom ii x4 965
    I was also able to install vmware tools using darwin snow leo iso.

Now i only have the problem that the machien freezes when i try to watch youtube. Does annyone have a tip or trick for that?

72. Timelight says:

This is the first AMD vmware image that is working for me! :D . I have a phenom ii x4 965
    I was also able to install vmware tools using darwin snow leo iso.

73. xame says:

Thanks Sould Dev Team: this image works on my Samsung X125 (CPU AMD Athlon II Neo K124, 1,7 GHz).
    VMware Workstation v8.0.3 build-703057.
    My Virtual Machine Settings are:
    -tab Hardware\Processors\Preferred mode: Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI
    -tab Options\General\Version: Mac OS X 10.7 64-bit

74. Ritwik Patil says:

Amd FX-4100 works with mother board M5A78L-M LX V2 Works
    Gave It 4Gb Ram
    Hope This Helps

75. Martin says:

Hi, I have an AMD Athlon II x3 processor and the AMD_kernal cmd script doesnt seem to work. I flashes and says something about 0 files copied but thats all I can see of it.

I am running it on Windows 8 and I don’t know if that will affect it. I am going to try it on my Intel and see if that works.

Has it been tested on Windows 8?

76. HELPPPP!! ok so i know you said amd users may have trouble, but can you please fix this, Ok so i started the image, YES I RAN THE AMD PATCH.CMD(<SOM10 LIKE THT) But when it boots it takes forever, i left it on all night and voila it was up!, But:( It lags so bad, i cant get past "Setup Your Keyboard" :( Please help!

77. Jon says:

Works well on AMD Turion II M500 2.20 GHz. A little buggy and sometimes slow but for the most part it is far more stable than the 10.2.8 builds that I had tried installing to VBox. Installed XCode, Text Mate, and Dreamweaver without a problem. Video is slower but works. I think you should reference VMsvga2 in your docs/tuts, I found it in the comments here and thank goodness I did, now using my 24 inch moniter for the virtual machine. Thank you so much for all the work you put into this. Great Job!

78. Todd says:

Wonderful work! I never got Lion OSX 7.x to work ANYTIME with my specs:

Phenom II X4 810
    Asus M4N78
    NVIDIA GT520
    8MB DDRII

Win7 x64
    VMware 9.0

Now with your AMD implementation OSX 10.8.2 is up and running GREAT, notwithstanding the few issues you stated previously. Thanks Again!

79. michel says:

VMWARE tools freeze for me with installation.

Hello, I have a Lenovo T61 with inside Intel Centrino Pro.

I install Vmware 9 on the system and run this OSX on it, no problem for so far.
    I did a software update of the OSX with new Safari and new Itunes and some other small things.

The only thing what I have a problem with is installing VMWare tools, it starts with the installation and you see the time running what says 3 minutes remaining, but at a moment it stops and the system freeze.

The only thing what I can do is poweroff the VMWare session.

Is there someting what I can do to fix this? so I can install vmware tools so my Vmware will run in fullscreen modus.

Thanks for help,
    Regards,
    Michel

80. Ceejay says:

Nice distro, I have to admit!

Although, I’m having a problem running it on my AMD machine, where it loads to the Language screen, yet I can’t move the mouse? Help would be appreciated :)

81. Ceejay says:

Got it working awesomely! IT WORKS WITH LIKE, NO LAG NOW. There’s a bit but y’know I can handle that. A bit disappointed that Pocket Planes won’t run for some reason, but I’ll eventually find a way for it to work :) ) Installing vmSVGA2 got lag gone and got the Notification Center graphics glitch to go away as well :)

AMD A6-4400M with AMD 7670M Dual Graphics (I can’t seem to get my graphics card -1GB- to work…)
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    500GB HDD

It’s a Samsung Series 3 by the way :) )

82. Dan says:

This has been working (not very fast, but working) on my AMD Phenom 9750, 32 bit, 4 GB, Vista (I know – ugh Vista) for about one week.

When I used the VMtools to try to get the whole screen visible, it completely ruined everything. I tried everything short of reformatting the HDD to get it to work again, but finally, after a couple days of work, it started working again.

Thanks for the website, the DL’s and the images! It’s given me a chance to run Xcode, to see that I really need to build a Hack, or buy a MAC.

83. Jon says:

Hey just wondering are the direct links ever going to be posted? I’m using my college network, which blocks torrents so I’m unable to download the file through there.

84. Jonathan S says:

Does anyone know the best settings for the AMD Phenom II X4 CPU, I am trying many different combinations but it is very laggyand freezes often, please help!

85. Sohail says:

Installed on AMD 1090T perfectly stable after VMsVGA..

but problem getting iMessage working, does it work on AMD? can anyone help? tried imessage-enabler and the vmx build hacks but ain’t lucky yet :(

Rest all is ZACKEHINTOSHED! Great one!

86. sagi says:

Hey I’ve got a Phenom II x4 940, and I’m able to get the initial boot to the setup wizard but the VM always freezes while it creates the user account. The guest cursor doesn’t move anymore, and there’s nothing I can do to get it to unfreeze, I have to restart it.
    Is there anything I can try?

87. Michael says:

I’m running an AMD Phenom II X6 1055T, 16GB RAM, Windows 7 64bit, and VMWare Workstation 9.01.

Disabled the CD-ROM, gave the VM 4GB of RAM and it worked just fine. Wouldn’t work with only 1GB RAM.

VMWare tools from darwin.iso caused a panic.

Installed VMWare tools from darwin_snow.iso (from a Snow Leopard VM) and it worked fine. Adjustable screen resolution and shared folders work.

Thanks!

88. betaboy says:

I confirmed that the new VMware tools works perfectly
    without any modification.

89. Daniel says:

AMD FX 4100 Quad-Core works.
    How can i change the display settings or enable my graphics card?

• Daniel says:

Used smvga. Now diplyasettings fit my monitor.
      imessage enabler would not work for me.
      graphics AMD Radeon HD 86xx

90. David Raye says:

Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Intel/AMD build
    Somewhat working:
    Boots fairly quickly 1-2 mins, much better than iAtkos v7 Leopard I have installed!

As said, it boots and goes to desktop.
    Initially, I was able to create an admin account, deleted whatever the original account was.
    Lately, Mac OS 10.8.2 freezes 1-3 minutes after getting to desktop. Cursor stops, have to power-off VM

Have tried various settings with same results, still freezes, have no solution yet.

Still am hoping I can find a solution.
    This build has, by far, this best chance of working

HP Pavilion DT
    AMD Phenom II x4 830 CPU
    Foxconn 2AB1 (AMD 784G/AMD SB700) MoBo
    6GB RAM
    Win7-64 host
    VMware Player 5.0.1 build-894247

VM’s installed
    WinXP SP3…working
    Leopard 10.5…working
    iAtkosv7 (Leopard)…working
    Snow Leopard 10.6.2…working
    Mountain Lion 10.8.2…partially working

91. tweexter says:

Very nice image, runs good. Can’t wait to get iMessage working again, though :)
    Good up the good work.

4x 8GB DDR3 SDRAM PC3-12800
    Corsair CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10
    XMP: 1.50V, Clk: 800.0MHz, Timings 10-10-10-27
    Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4850
    Disks: 2x SSD Sata
    VMWARE running on 240 Gb SSD MKNSSDCR240GB-DX

Machine booted ok after setting proc to amd, amd-kernel.cmd . Screen resolution only 1024 setup vmware tools -> crash. Reinstalled disk image. Boot ok. Installed vmsvage(sourceforge), boot ok

Settings:
    4 Procs, single core
    8 Gb ram,
    150 Gb disk
    Virtualization engine automatic

Screen resolution 1920×1080 ok
    Sound, seems ok,
    Net ok
    Connect smb shares on windows server 2012, no problem

Downloading xcode from app store, machine froze while launching dashboard. Waited a few minutes, came ok again.

93. Rombus says:

QE – Does anyone know if Applications which require Quartz Extreme will work in this version?

In case the answer is no for this build, is the ANY way to make it work on a VM?

I’m waiting for this since years. Can’t afford a Mac right now and checking back now and then to see if someone has figured it out already ; )

94. t00l says:

I’m able to install it on Phenom II X4 945 on VMware 9.

Then the login screen pops up, I enter my password and system freezes – sometimes after showing me the wallpaper, sometimes wallpaper + menu and sometimes second before leaving the login screen.

Is there something obvious I’m missing?

EDIT: Oh, I feel so dumb. Solution: more than 2GB of RAM. Therefore, I can claim that Phenom II X4 945 works 100% with this.

Thanks guys!

95. John says:

Hi Zack, first of all congrats for your great work, im pretty sure you’ve spent a lot of hours to make all those projects work, i can feel you, im a dev too.

Everything works fine except the sound. It works but sometimes it gets choppy especialy when i open another app, but that doesn’t bother me. The problem is when i open GarageBand, the vmware workstation 8 says “Error in creating sound stream, sound disconected” and then no sound, it happens everytime i open GarageBand. Any ideas on how to fix this?
    Thanks!

96. Ralph says:

Any update on fixing iMessage in this release? It won’t sign in despite using the SMSERIAL fix. I think it’s because the network adapter is showing VMware.

97. Nick says:

Fixed my problem. There’s two hidden folders (intel & amd). Just copied the nvram from the AMD folder to the main VM folder

98. wtf? says:

Why don’t you hide the image download a little better =\

It’s on the Downloads page under the Mountain Lion section entitled OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 VMware Image. Hm? (Oh, and there is a CTRL + F feature on almost all browsers).

99. Ri5ux says:

It works, about 50/50 for me. Runs perfectly fine without VMWare tools installed, but as soon as I install them, I get this boot error obviously saying there is no AMD support for Lion.

Error: http://i.imgur.com/T0WJ5eW.png

VMWare Version 9.0.1
    AMD Turion II P540
    8GBs of RAM

Any help is greatly appreciated.

That isn’t 50/50 then, that’s fine until you make a mistake :p Use VMsvga, or use the Robservatory fix for the Tools (it’s somewhere in the comments, CTRL + F it).

100. Dn says:

On my computer this is working fine. At the begining was a bit slow but then I’ve instaled VMsvga2 to improve the graphics and now is working properly.

My specs:
    AMD Turion X2 64;
    4gb RAM
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD series 4500

101. David Raye says:

This build seems to have the best chance of succeeding on my equipment.
    I seem to be experiencing ‘freeze-up’ though, sometimes within 3-5 minutes, other times it will run for 15-20 minutes plus. When it ‘freezes’, I have no cursor movement or keyboard input. Have to power-off the VM and restart. It runs very smoothly until it freezes.

On initial install it seemed to run fine. I was able to set-up admin user account and configure dock/finder/folder views/network/file share etc.

I have not found a solution yet. Changed Memory to 3 GB, Number of processor cores set to 2. Virtualization set to Intel VT-x or AMD-V
    Installed VMsvga2_v1.2.5_OS_10.6-10.8.pkg

Still freezes up, but seems to run longer before freeze-up.

I have not tried deleting initial install and re-installing.

Machine specs:
    HP Pavilion Desktop, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    CPU-Z Reports:
    CPU: AMD Phenom ll x4 830, (MMX+, 3DNow!+, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4A, x86-64, AMD-V
    Motherboard: Foxconn 2AB1, Chipset: AMD 785G, Southbridge: AMD SB700
    Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4200
    6 GB RAM

VMware Player 5.0.1 build-894247

Currently running on VMware Player:
    Windows XP SP3…working
    Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.8 (jaS build)…working
    Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.5…working
    Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8 (iAtkos v7 build)…VERY slow boot, but then works well
    Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.2…working
    Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Intel/AMD (SD Build)…boots/works/freezes after a time

Are you putting it under intense load when this happens?

• David Raye says:

No, it happens when I get the VM started and I’m just clicking around with various Finder functions, ie: Sys Prefs, opening folders, etc

I have tried to do a ‘repair permissions’ from within disk utility. It’ll start but freeze before it can finish.

102. Joe Smith says:

You left out 1920×1080 an extremely popular and widely used resolution. Why would you do that?

103. Matay says:

finally now, has worked well with my system

AMD A8-3850, 2900 MHz (32 x 91)
    Motherboard Asus F1A75-V Pro (x16 3 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E, 4 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN)

I have always run the two files
    amd and intel-kernel as the video.

but then I only run for amd
    and I see installation starts
    until now without problems

I have updated the system
    has also worked well

104. Ken Tola says:

First thank you for providing this image and for the awesome explanation. I have what is probably a stupid question for VM Player. In Snow Leopard if I set the VM Player Display to 1 screen and the highest resolution, I was able to go into System Preferences => Displays in Snow Leopard and increase the 1024 x 768 to a more full screen option such as 1600 x 1200. That is not working here – I made sure to set the display correctly prior to running the image the first time but I have no ability to change the resolution. Can you please help?

105. cheapbastard says:

Hi all,

Thanks for all your hard work and persistance.

Can’t find much info on installing the AMD kernel on a Ubuntu machine (if it is even possible) so I installed Win7-64 on a small partition dual boot.

Trying this on a Phenom II 960T and I can’t seem to get passed the cpu error no matter what I try.
    Tryed 10.7-64 and 10.8-64 as well as amd-v and amd-v/rvi

Thanks again

Ah, should’ve thought about that, my bad. If you look for hidden files you can copy the NVRAM from the AMD directory over your existing and it should work on Linux for you. Maybe give that a try and see how it goes?

106. Brian says:

Running! First boot was a breeze, choppy video and sound but I can work with that. AMD 8150FX 8 Core, 32 gigs of ram, ASRock 970 Extreme4 and Radeon HD6870.

Posted from my Vmware 9 OSX unlocked 10.8.2 VM 4 Cores 8192 Ram. Immensely grateful to all the effort put into this!

No need for hardware unlocker as the CPU supports hardware VT, and no changes needed to the virtualization engine. Next up vmware tools install.

107. prasad gujar says:

without vmware tools it performing perfectly. As soon as i install vmware tools form darwin.iso . everything breaks. does not even boot. using AMD phenom x 555 BE

108. Vacano says:

Hi guys, I don’t know what’s going on with my Toshiba laptop L755 s5416, I followed the instructions from the video and still can’t go past the virtualization problem, here is what I’ve been doing.

1- installed vmware 8.0.3 when setup is complete I don’t run it.

2-Run the mac os guest–works fine.

3- Run the hardware virtualization by putting it inside my x64 folder since I’m using windows 7 64bit, I get 1 out of 11. my processor is intel.

4-double click the vmx file, vmware recognizes the machine BUT when i try to power it up i get this error..

Software virtualization is incompatible with long mode on this platform. Disabling long mode…..

can somebody please tell me if I’m missing something.
    Thanks.

109. Siemp says:

My computer:
    Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate
    Mainboard: Gigabit 890GPA-UD3H
    Vidiocard: MSI GTX660TI PE
    Proccesor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.20 GHz
    RAM: 32 GB
    VMware: 8.0.3 build-703057

—-

1 startup
    Memory: 4 GB
    Processor: automatic
    Options: Mac OS X 10.7 64-bit

Result: “The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system”

2 startup
    Memory: 4 GB
    Processor: Binary translation
    Options: Mac OS X 10.7 64-bit

Result: “Mac OS X is not supported with software virtualization. Change the execution mode to automatic.”

3 startup
    Memory: 4 GB
    Processor: Intel VT –x or AMD-V
    Options: Mac OS X 10.7 64-bit

Result: “The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system”

4 startup
    Memory: 4 GB
    Processor: Intel VT –x /EPT or AMD-V/RVI
    Options: Mac OS X 10.7 64-bit

Result: “The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system”

5 startup
    Memory: 4 GB
    Processor: Intel VT –x /EPT or AMD-V/RVI
    Options: Mac OS X 10.7

Result: Message:
    “unsuccessful.
    EFI VMware Virtual IDE CDROM Drive (IDE 1:)…unsuccessful
    EFI Network…”
    It then hangs for a few minutes and I get dumped at a shell prompt.

6 startup
    Memory: 4 GB
    Processor: Intel VT –x /EPT or AMD-V/RVI
    Options: Mac OS X 10.7
    Turning off one or all extra hardware like: CDrom, networkcard Floppy, USB, sound.

Result: Message:
    Brings shell prompt with messages like:
    FS0 : Removable HardDisk – Alias hd14a0b blk0
    PciRoot (0×0)/Pci (0×10,0×0)/Scsi (0×0,0×0)/HD(1,GPT,3FD5A……. e.d.
    Press ESC in x seconds to skip start.nsh, any other key to continue.
    Shell> _

—————-

So I tryed all setting, also mix them but no more result than this Shell, I hope You can do anything with this information! Thax for the good job sofar :D

110. stef says:

It works!! Thank you.
    Tested on:
    Intel i5 3570K
    Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
    4GB RAM
    Windows 7 64bit
    VMware 9

111. pz says:

fx6300
    GA-78LMT-USB3
    onboard graphics

linux mint 14
    vmware workstation 8.0.4
    notes – patch this version using these notes:
    1. unzip the tar.gz, open and modile the version check of patch file : patch-modules_3.2.0.sh
    vmreqver=8.0.3
    plreqver=4.0.3
    2. go to /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source
    3. extract the vmnet.tar
    tar xvf vmnet.tar
    4. apply patch
    patch -p1 < /home/user/Downloads/vmware3.2.0.patch
    5. retar the source
    tar cvf vmnet.tar vmnet-only/
    6. rerun vmware kernel module updater…

osx unlocker successful
    notes
    chmod -x install.sh and unlocker.linux64
    the copy of isos failed – Tools is the correct spelling for me
    cp -v ../Tools/darwin.iso /usr/lib/vmware/isoimages
    cp -v ../Tools/darwin.iso.sig /usr/lib/vmware/isoimages

loaded OS X Mountain Lion.vmx
    first try – default settings – FAIL – APPLE icon appears, no loading circle thingie

next few tries – different virtualization engine setting
    all fail with no loading circle

try x – added following lines to OS X Mountain Lion.vmx
    revert back to default virtualization engine setting
    cpuid.coresPerSocket = "4"
    cpuid.0.ebx="0111:0101:0110:11­10:0110:0101:0100:0111"
    cpuid.0.edx="0100:1001:0110:01­01:0110:1110:0110:1001"
    cpuid.0.ecx="0110:1100:0110:01­01:0111:0100:0110:1110"
    cpuid.1.eax="0000:0000:0000:00­01:0000:0110:0111:0001"
    SUCCESS boots into OSX desktop

tried to install vmware tools, nothing happens
    unable to change resolution.
    thanks/gj, ZackehSoul

• pz says:

got ‘darwin_snow_legacy.iso’ for vmtools but no luck in trying to get it to work
      cant install chrome either, Chrome quit unexpectedly =(

Thanks for the process, will be useful to Linux users. To install VMware Tools just download them from here and install the .app in the VM.

112. Amit Shah says:

Hi,

I am using AMD A8 4500M with ATI Redon Graphics card. I enabled virtualization and started the OS. But it gives issue with hpyer-v
    My OS is windows 8. Can anyone help me how to proceed with the same? Anyone faced / solved the issue?

Google the issue, or tell me the exact error message. I can’t help with a generalization unfortunately.

113. PKing says:

Installed it on my computer:

VMware 9.02
    AMD 1055T 6x3200mhz
    W7 Ultimate 64 bit 8gb ram

As far i can see it runs smoothly and after installing the vmsvga2 tool the resolution is also good.
    Altough i am not a MAC specialist, if you need something to test in this envirement just ask.

114. Victor says:

Oh, thank you man! God thank you!!! I’ve almost ceased all hopes to run macOs on my AMD… But this one runs!

Thanks you, thank you, thank you!

Sorry, forgot to mention my specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz
    8GB DDR2 RAM
    Asus M3N78 Pro motherboard
    GeForce 9500 GT 512Mb
    Windows 7 64bit

VMWare 9.0.2, with MacOS Guest unlocker 1.1.0 installed

4 Cores, 4GB ram for VM, Mac OS 10.8 64bit option, and Automatic processor virtualization setting.

First it halted on Apple screen, then when I made 10.8 option – it ran, but stuck again after location services, then I rebooted, and set 4 cores and 4gb ram for it, disabled optical drive (I have daemontools dvd drive enabled), and it finally loaded and passed all installation screens to the desktop!

Installed VMSVGA2 and changed to 1920×1080 – and voila, works right now.

Will test it with XCode, etc, and let know if any more issues arise.

115. kusatao says:

FX6100 / RAM 4 Gb / Workstation v8 : work fine, with “Secure virtual mode” enabled, AMD-v / Intel-VT enabled in workstation / CPU params.
    Thanks !

116. dalim says:

Thanks Zack,

working fine in vmware workstation 9, WITHOUT unlocker patch, installing smsvga2 made it much faster.

I just need to figure out how to fix the Hardware UUID (seems like i have a generic UUID) – cant connect to icloud, facetime, imessage.

Any ideas?

Yeah this build will run without the patch, but it’s still recommended because it makes certain things a bit buggier (maybe). The iCloud etc. issues are down to NVRAM stuff, which is a pain in a virtual environment. I know how to fix it, but implementing it may be impossible without a little help from VMware!

117. techsavver says:

waiting for 10.8.3 update. Please bring it soon

Yep, got it out to a couple of testers right now. Just waiting on a response on the AMD side of things and we’re good to go. Come back tomorrow(?)!

118. dalim says:

Anybody have iCloud working with this image?

I am running on VM workstation 9. Tried it with the latest Chameleon bootloader, SMuuid, SystemId, en0 and the all the various fixes online, still no go.

119. Sergio says:

Hello! Are you going to make an Update Fixer for 10.8.3? Thank you!

120. Arkshine says:

- AMD Phenom II X4 965 (Black Edition)
    - NVIDIA Geforce GT 8800 graphics.
    - VMware Workstation 9.0.2 build-1031769
    - Windows 7 x64

- Just applied amd-kernel.cmd and nothing else.
    - WM set with 4 Go as memory.
    - Virtualization engine to automatic.

It works fine as it is, but there is a freeze after like between 30 min and 1h :( .

Otherwise, same as above posts, before I noticed the freeze, I’ve installed with success VMsvga2 or Tools from Chameleon-2.1 package.

But even without that, so, default state when you are the first time on the home, it still freezes after some times (~1h), even though things work fine.

Any ideas ?

(Btw, what is DP4 version ?)

DP4 is the development preview version. Think of them as Beta. Do you have a screensaver enabled? That might be causing the crashes (graphics are usually the cause of issues).

• Arkshine says:

Thanks for your answer. Let me check.

But I remember seeing a screensaver at some point and it was still working fine. Even if I’m active, it will suddenly freeze after some time.
        I’ve tried also to install xcode, but it freezes always when it copies files (happens at ~1.7Go, tried to download again .dmg file without success).

Do you have others things in mind I could disable ? Purpose is mainly having a coding environnement, that’s all.

Last question, assuming Tools is installed and I’ve shared some folders in vwmare options, where am I supposed to see that in OSX ? Network ? Because I find nothing, I’m afraid Tools may not isntalled properly.

Will back after more testing.

Just install it from the App Store, that should work just fine. And there was something somewhere about Shared Folders only working via Search.

• Arkshine says:

About XCode, I can’t get it from AppStore since it freezes before. I’ve a slow connection (2mbits), it takes 2h to download. That’s why I’ve retrieved the .dmg from the developer apple page. But it freezes always when it has copied already ~1.7Go.

About the freeze, I’ve tried to disable screensaver and otpion relating energing saving. No luck. It still happens. And I’m not doing something heavy, I was looking to some site with safari, and suddenly, after like 15 minutes, freezing (CPU 100%). It’s kind of depressing when it works fine with others people and same CPU.

About shared folders, I’ve well found it using Search, but unfortunally what I’ve shared was not inside, so I guess Tools is not installed.

Do you have some ideas on what I could do to get rid of this freeze ?

Thanks.

121. Birdman says:

Curious, are the graphics supposed to show as 128 MB in the About this Mac? Or was I missing something on the install?

Have a GTX 680M.

122. steve says:

Does it work for AMD A6-3410mx apu with Radeon Graphics 1.60GHz?

I followed the video and i get an error message:
    Preferred mode unavailable. Using binary translation instead.
    This host supports AMD-V, but AMD-V is disabled.
    AMD-V might be disabled if it has been disabled in the BIOS/firmware settings or the host has not been power-cycled since changing this setting.

The message tells you all you need to know. Go and enable AMD-V in your BIOS, and it’ll work just fine.

123. Rich says:

I have a AMD Phenom ll X6 1045T with 8 GB Dual Channel DDR3. I have followed all the steps and can’t get past the apple screen. Keeps saying Cpu turned off by Guest OS. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

• PKing says:

You did enable virtual mode in youre bois?

• Hendrik says:

Dit you install the AMD-kernel.cmd file ?
      That worked for me.

Unfortunately the system crashes for me on my AMD phenom II X4 955 a lot when using browsers. It will crash when when I try to watch youtube movies.
      Graphics are very slow also.

Still nice to be able to finally boot into osx. :)
      My thanks to everybody who helped make this possible!

124. bob says:

I remember there are three Download(OS X Mountain Lion VMware Images: of http://www.souldevteam.net/blog/downloads/

125. mihir says:

Error 1.
    Preferred mode unavailable. Using binary translation instead.
    This host supports AMD-V, but the AMD-V implementation is incompatible with VMware Workstation.

Error 2.
    Mac OS X is not supported with binary translation. To run Mac OS X you need a host on which VMware Workstation supports Intel VT-x or AMD-V

My PC SPEC : AMD ANTHLON 64 X2 Processor 56000 + 2.9 GHz

126. John says:

installed in vmware workstation 9 running on windows7 32bit
    mb = asus m4a785-m
    cpu = amd phenom iix6 1090t
    memory 4 gig

Same issue as with some other blogs. Seems as if mouse and keyboard freeze during the install process. Have taken multiple snapshots to test. Freezes on location services page, add user page. never gets past add user page. No kernel panic error just freezing.

127. Sarah says:

Thanks for your detailed explanation and persistence.
    Successfully installed on VMWare Workstation9 running on AMD Athlon II X2 250 processor.
    Good Luck.

128. Leonidas says:

Hello all mates here!

i have install vmware on windows 7

and i have use 10.8.2

all went fine! but when i was trying to install vm tools after restart crashing before loading complete (kernel panic)

i have try to read the messages here! but i havent really understand wich one vm tools i must use for this version? or how can use 10.8.2 at max

i have phenom x4 810 (if it helps somehow)

sry for my english! thank you very much!

129. Tom says:

- AMD Phenom II X4 965 (Black Edition)
    - Nvidea Geforce GTX 460 Video card
    - Soundblaster X-Fi Pro Sound card
    - Motherboard: Asus M4A87TD EVO
    - Memory: Crucial 12GB Dual Channel Memory
    - I have 6GB of memory allocated
    - Using VMware 8.0.3
    - Using vmsvga2
    - Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
    Installed it this morning and it has been running very solid and stable all day, for about 6 hours now, been web browsing, listening to mp3s really smooth. I really appreciate this Zack, alot, Thanks!!

130. Joe says:

Working with AMD FX-8320, on VmWare 9

131. Robert Chalmers says:

A bit confused about just where I should post this on this blog, however … I have been trying to make changes to the Mac vm system I have here.

VMWorkstation 9
    Tools
    Mountain Lion 10.8.4 (from update from 10.8.3)

based on Toshiba Laptop L630 with 8 GB RAM, Win 8.

It all works fine. Except iMessage. In the search to solve that problem, I discovered a series of informative sites that I posted about previously. Involving SMBios injector.
    It seems I’m on a false trail anyway I think. This type of install, that is, running as a VMWare machine under VM Workstation, means that the Mac is booted by means other than anything that will read SMBios.plist, or the com.apple.Boot.plist files.
    I am unable to discover how it actually does start up the mac. But, there are two files that it uses, config.ini and preferences.ini. Maybe they can be tweeked to reflect a startup scene that will read the SMBios files. Or something can.

So the question I have is. If VMWorkstation is not reading the normal Mac boot files, what is it reading, and can it be configured.

It reads from the SMBios plist if you tell VMware that it’s not a Mac VM. Meaning if you change the VM config to be a Windows NT machine (or the like) it’ll boot using the SMBios parameters because it boots from the bootloader embedded in the OS rather than VMware modified EFI bootloader. If you make that change in the VM config, you should soon see your SMBios changes taking effect.

132. MumblingFumbler says:

Just FYI, I upgraded your 10.8.2 to 10.8.4 using iTunes Store with no apparent problems.

I’m trying to integrate a USB Logitech Webcam. Facetime doesn’t recognize the webcam. Any suggestions?

133. Humpty dumpty says:

Works fine but after installing VMsvga2, my cursor becomes green! It’s like a joke.

When I increase the size of the cursor it becomes more white but it is too big in this case.

Any idea how to fix it?

134. 冷凍櫃 says:

Operation is very smooth, thanks

135. Willy says:

Hello Zackeh… Thanks for the download.
    Is the AMD-Kernel.cmd from the latest link missing? Can you provide it? Thanks :)

136. Derfie says:

Hi Zack,

Watched a lot of videos this weekend trying to get the 10.8.3 virtual machine to run on my AMD FX-6100. It’s frustrating how many people have it running besides me!

First off… I can’t get the Unlocker to work correctly. When I run VMware 8.x-9.x Series > VMware Workstation Locker -Windows > Install.cmd the 4 file doesn’t copy/write:

Patching c:\Program Files \VMware\VMware Workstation\vmwarebase.dll
    CreateFile failed The process cannot acess the file because it is being used by another process.

Any ideas?

137. Anindya says:

I want to appreciate your effort at first. It is a commendable piece of work. I am using it on AMD A10 with 4 GB RAM. System is usable with the tweak in place of VMware tools. But as Quartz graphics is not enabled by VMsvga2_v1.2.5_OS_10.6-10.8.pkg, iPhoto, or iMovie can’t be run. If you could work on that, it would be of much help. Again OS X on AMD, u made it true. Thanks for that.

138. Luijo says:

Hi, first of all I would like to thank you guys for all of your hard work. I was able to install mountain lion 10.8.2 in my laptop (AMD Turion 64×2 with windows 7 64 Bits, 4 gb RAM)and then I updated to 10.8.4. Yehaaaaa.

139. Aracas says:

You guys are amazing, was simple to download and install on VMWare, please don’t ever stop producing these high quality distros :-)

140. Rachids says:

Works Fine On “AMD Athlon X2 M300″. but apps ‘LanchPad’ Stuck .

141. Veronika says:

Thank you for your work! I’ve been able to try mac osx for the first time because of this. I’ve put vmware tools on and VMsvga2 but I still cant get the guest screen to scale to window size like most vm’s i use do (admittedly they are all in virtual box not vmware).
    Does anyone know anything about this?