A couple of days ago 10.7.5 and 10.8.2 updates were released for Lion/Mountain Lion respectively. Updating normally won’t pose an issue for most people in terms of booting up the system, however there are a few things which need to be optimized (sound, for example). To fix this issue, we’ve released two new versions of our Update Fixers, which should fix all issues when updating either build and leave you with a 10.7.5 / 10.8.2 Hackintosh. You can find them on our Downloads page. Those of you who know how to use our scripts can just go ahead and run them as normal, however for those of you who are new to them follow this quick guide;

• Download the Combo update from Apple inside your VM/Hackintosh – Click for Lion / Click for Mountain Lion.
  • Run this update however, once it reaches the point where it’s completed and says you need to Restart, don’t do anything.
  • Unzip the Script you downloaded from our site – again, get these from our Downloads page.
  • Open a Terminal window (found in Applications/Utilities) and type the following commands;
cd <yourscriptfolderhere> sudo ./UpdateFixer.sh
  • Once this is done, and the script reports being successful, just close Terminal and then hit Restart on the Combo update.
  • Once your system restarts, everything should be working just fine on 10.7.5/10.8.2.

Although there aren’t any issues as far as we can see, if you run into any problems please let us know in the comments. We’re currently in the process of possibly rewriting how the scripts work, so depending on how these two work for people depends on if we go ahead with it or not.

As usual, we appreciate any and all donations – be they little or large, especially since our hosting is needing to be renewed within a month or so. Oh, and on another topic – 10.7.5 and 10.8.2 images will be available soon, for those of you who want a fully optimized system.

Update #1: For those with issues when using the 10.8.2 fixer, please be specific about what files are causing the error at what part in the process.

1. rafikwood says:

don’t work for me ,interminal that say ‘ No such file or directory’

2. Simon says:

Some questions: if I have already manually updated from 10.8.0 to 10.8.2, is there any point in running this fixed updater? How can I resolve any sound and other optimisation issues I may have if I have already updated to 10.8.2?

Another question: Is it possible to update a 10.7 installation to 10.8, or do you have to start all over again with a fresh 10.8 installation?

3. noob says:

Didint work for me, got an “unable to find driver for this platform error” on restart im stilling using vmware workstation 8.0 if this makes a difference.

more info: when i was running the update fixer i noticed when it was saying “replacing .kext ….”, it was followed by ” no such file or directory”. Still gave be the “Script was successful message though. Any ideas?

4. Robb says:

After following the instructions above, I am no longer able to run the Mountain Lion image. I ran the updater and the script. Saw the message that the script ran successfully and its now safe to reboot. When I reboot, I see like a script or code running on my VM window and its says something about MAC OS not defined or something. I rebooted and then saw the message CPU has been disabled by the Guest OS (or something like that). I remember getting this when I tried to run the images on a AMD. Do I need to rerun something (the unlocker)? I took a snapshot before I tried the upgrade so I am back running fine, but not updated.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!

That’s very odd. Are you able to take a picture of/video the error when rebooting after running it and email to me at zackehsoul@hotmail.co.uk?

• Atreidae says:

Having the same issue, using Chamelon 2.1svn to work around the imessage problem.. worked until the update, Dismounted the hackboot iso and tried to boot it that way until it does stuck at “loading darwin”
        Mounted the hackboot iso and rebooted. bam! into OSX.

Dunno what it did and I’d like to offer a more technical explanation.. but i cant.

5. bender says:

I was able to update 10.7.4 > 10.7.5 with the fixer and it worked just fine. Thanks.

Accidentally updated 10.7.3 automatically a couple days ago and it did not boot. Oops ;)

Also unwittingly updated 10.8 > 10.8.2 without the fixer and it worked fine as far as I can tell. I don’t use sound.

• Simon says:

I also updated from 10.8 to 10.8.2 without the fixer and it generally worked well, except sound was a little crackly. Now after having run the updater, the sound is fine.

When I open a new tab in Safari and the Top Sites page is displayed though, it flashes continuously as it redraws itself over and over again, which my 10.7 didn’t used to do.

• Jon says:

I’m having the same issue :( various graphics issues. I’m using Gigabyte z68p-ds3, HD3000, mac mini 5,1 ident…. any resolution?

6. JR Vocke says:

Thx. Works perfect, except for iMessage which seems to be broken.

7. Linux1984 says:

Unfortunately my update to 10.8.2 never worked.

I ran the update downloaded from the apple site, then when it finished installing (before restarting) i ran your update script. and it never found any of the files it was supposed to remove or copy it said successful anyway. but when i rebooted all i got was a kernel panic and not booting up. so i had to do it all from the start again. now i`m back to 10.8.1.

Any ideas?.

Thanks.

It never found any at all?

• Linux1984 says:

On reading your latest reply to someone else i relise now i should have kept your script file in the same folder i extracted it to, because you had the kexts in there also. i never knew that and moved the script file alone to the documents folder. For an easy terminal “cd” to the file so i could execute it. so that was my own fault. I will try again sorry for the false alarm. keep up the good work.

Cheers!.

8. slackhead says:

I’ve been trying to get the update fix for 10.8.2 to work on a VMWare Workstation VM.

Like others above I initialy had the problem with “No such file or direectory” for AppleACPIPlatform.kext and AppleHDA.kext – resulting in a kernel panic

On repeating the update I’ve noticed that when downloading the update-fix from your site the required replacement kexts are deleted when the zip archive is extracted (or do not extract), so arent in the folder – hence the error.

Is there some new security measure which is making this happen? Or are we just missing something obvious?

Cheers

9. RA56 says:

I was able to install the Lion update and go from 10.7.4 to 10.7.5 on VMware Player 4.0.4.

When I opened the zip file on the Mac it only showed 2 files, so I unzipped it in Windows and then copied the unzipped folders onto the Mac. I ran the script and it said it completed successfully and gave me the OK to reboot.

It took a long time (5-10 minutes) to come up the first time, but it works fine. About this Mac shows 10.7.5 and the sound works good too.

10. /home/dark says:

Hi there,

I’m new on that…those scripts are valids in a VMWare installation?

11. Jack says:

Hi there… GREAT work! I’ve been looking for a stable OS X VM guest session for some time. I’m running a OS X 10.8.2 guest within VMware Workstation 9 on a Linux Mint 13 (64-bit) host.

Apart from the iMessage and AirPlay issues, there is one issue that is keeping me from using this in a practical way – I have no sound at all. I’ve tried all of the suggestions I could find on your site, several times, and have even started from scratch.

I did, however, manage to get some choppy audio when I plugged up a USB audio adapter… but it quickly fails to no sound at all.

Any suggestions (within the context of my set up) to fix my audio issue?

Thanks in advance!
    Jack

• Jack says:

Hey there… just an update: I figuered it out.

BTW, I’m not sure why you didn’t at least acknowledge my question… It’s ok to say “I don’t know” or even “I’ll check on it” or such. You might want to think about that in the future, as some of us (including me) help support this site financially.

Regards,
      Jack

I’m sorry dude, at the moment we have like 500 comments awaiting moderation (no, really) because I’ve been ill for the last week or so and have had uni work on, and I deal with the comments. I’ve been trying to get through the backlog but it’s difficult to get through so many so fast! I’m sorry I didn’t get back to your previous question, I only just saw it now since I searched for it. There are a couple of ways to fix this but it’s never 100% due to the various distros but since you figured it out; which method did you use?

Sorry again, for missing the previous.

• Carlos says:

Could you please explain how you fixed the audio problem?? Having the same issue, thanks!

• Carlos says:

Nevermind. Now it’s working properly, I just made a mistake while launching UpdateFixer.sh. Thanks for the patch guys!

12. seshachalam says:

Hi,
    This is may be inappropriate to ask this here,
    But the VMWare Image for Mac Lion 10.7.4 is awesome.
    Can you pls tell me, how can we become root(the vm image for Guest) using sudo -i on terminal ?

Looking for help,

Seshu

13. macman says:

I’m running the osx 10.8 via vmware workstation. I can only get 1024×768 display and get an error when trying to install Vmware tools.
    Error as follows

Any suggestions?

14. Awesome! Fixed my sound after it disappeared following a 10.8.2 update. Many many thanks. I’ve built my iOS app entirely on your images :)

15. Amadeus says:

Thanks a lot for providing the script, I just updated my Hackmac to 10.7.5.

Although I haven’t tested anything, reboot was without any issues and everything seems to be smooth ;-)

16. Richie says:

I tried this script in my Asus G74SX to update from 10.8 to 10.8.2. Unzipped and in terminal typed cd and dragged the file.., it says -bash: cd: /Users/richie/Downloads/os-x-mountain-lion-10.8.2-update-fixer/UpdateFixer.sh: Not a directory
    Then I tried to run it with the manual way it says
    Syntax Error
    Expected end of line, etc. but found “””.
    If I neglect all this and proceed to update in the terminal it says
    sudo: ./UpdateFixer.sh: command not found
    What could be the problem?

17. Diana says:

I have a rather strange situation: I downloaded the updater fixer archive, but the OS X doesn’t see its full content… I unzipped it in Windows and I can see all the files and folders, but in OS X I can only see UpdaterFixer.sh and the internet shortcut. I copied the archive on the OS X desktop to open it there, but it extracts the same 2 files. I renamed one folder removing the prefix dot and I was able to see that folder in OS X… I’m currently running Lion 10.7 under VMware 7.1.261024.

18. Michael says:

I’m having trouble installing VMware Tools with VMware Workstation 8.0.2 and OS X 10.7.5.

If I use the VMware “VM > Install VMware Tools…” menu option, then I get the usual error message “Could not find component on update server. Contact VMware Support or your system administrator.”

I saw your suggestion above about downloading “Install VMware Tools.zip” from this page: http://www.mediafire.com/zackehsoul

I downloaded that file and extracted the .app, but I’m getting an error message when I try to install it.

Here are the steps I tried: I boot up my OS X VM, and then right-click “Install VMware Tools.app” and choose “Show Package Contents”. Then I browse in and find the .pkg and double-click that. The installation starts, but it fails on the first step where it tests for system compatibility with the error message “VMware Tools can’t be installed on this computer.”

Any ideas?

You need to run the .app, not the .pkg.

• Michael says:

Thanks for the response! So I’m just supposed to double-click “Install VMware Tools.app”? I tried that, and OS X looks like it’s going to run it, but then nothing happens. I must be doing something wrong. Any ideas?

Also, just generally speaking: THANK YOU for these OS X VMware images. They are completely awesome. Well done!

Yeah you just run the .app (it’s a bit weird, it usually is a .pkg). Not sure why it isn’t appearing, how long have you waited?

• Michael says:

I finally got this working. I’m not sure why double-clicking the app wasn’t doing anything before, but I redownloaded the latest version of ZackehSoul’s “Install VMware Tools.zip”, and that seemed to solve my problem.

For anyone else struggling to install VMware Tools, here are some idiot-proof instructions:

1) Boot up OS X in VMware Workstation, and — from inside of OS X — download ZackehSoul’s VMware Tools from MediaFire here:

Download the file called “Install VMware Tools.zip” (NOT the Tech Preview version). The MediaFire file I used was dated 2013-02-04.

2) Copy that zip file to your desktop in OS X.
            3) Unzip the zip file.
            4) You should now have an app on your desktop called “Install VMware Tools”. The icon for the app is a little brown box with a yellow cube inside of it.
            5) Double-click that app. This should launch an installer that installs VMware Tools. When you reboot, you can change your screen resolution.

Note: You do ALL OF THIS from inside of OS X. VMware Workstation and your Windows host computer do not factor into this at all. You don’t use VMware’s “Install VMware Tools…” menu option, and you don’t do anything from Windows. Just boot up OS X, download ZackehSoul’s zip file there, and double-click to install the app in OS X.

19. cool_wass says:

hi,
    i’m using os x moutain lion 10.8.2 vm image
    trying to install vmware tools from darwin.iso in my vmware 9 but freeze , trying again freeze of vm machine again what problem

20. likin says:

hi ZackehSoul…
    i just wondering…can i use this script to update iATkos L2 (10.7.2) installation to combo update 10.7.5 (download manually)???
    Thanks in Advances

21. frankten says:

Thanks a lot man you are a genius everything work for me —the bootable mlion construction and the update montain lion thanks again. :)

22. Erik says:

This method is also working fine with today’s Mountain Lion update to OS X 10.8.3.
    I don’t know whether the .kext files that will be replaced, in the 10.8.3 differ from those of 10.8.2 or not, and therefor the original .kext files from the update should be altered, but as far as I can tell, the update is working flawlessly with the .kext files from the 10.8.2 update fixer.

Proof: http://i47.tinypic.com/14jyebq.png

23. Erik says:

Worked again with te update OS X 10.8.3 -> 10.8.4. I did not need to apply the fix again and just installed the combo update from here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1659

Installed it and everything works fine. I guess the .kekt files previously patched for 10.8.2 and also used for 10.8.3 are not touched during the update to 10.8.4.

Proof: http://i42.tinypic.com/jl6yd2.png

24. Bhoovan says:

hi ZackehSoul…

right now i am working on mac os 10.8.3 mountain lion by using vmware works station, i am not able to unlock system prefrence password can you help me .

25. leo says:

Now I could download the script. But I still have a question: Can I update from 10.7.3 to 10.7.5?

26. ZackehSoul says: