Disclaimer: All work shared in this post is property of ©2012 Soul Dev Team. Anybody wishing to share this work is freely allowed to, provided they give credit to the original creators, and link back to this post.

This is the updated build for OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 Retail, as of the release on 25/07/2012. The system in itself is new so there may be issues which are unknown to us, which means we would appreciate patience with anything we haven’t come across so far. Please also be aware that certain issues could actually stem from applications having not yet been updated to work with Mountain Lion. You can see the changelog and download links below. As usual, we appreciate all donations in order to fund our continued efforts.

OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 Retail VMware Image Changelog

- Apple dropped support for 32-bit mode in DP2 of Mountain Lion, so make sure
you keep the VMware Settings flagged as “Mac OS X 10.7 64-bit” otherwise
no bootable medium will be detected. We are currently working on a
workaround for this. New VMware versions will add support.
- Comes with direct download links as usual, should be faster this time.
- Completely Vanilla build. Drivers are purely patched Apple files.
- Continued new packaging for smaller download.
- Fresh installation of 10.8 Retail, everything was fixed during installation.
- Good boot time, with an average of around 1 minute boot time. Make sure to
give it chance to boot up.
- Kernel includes support for Ivy Bridge processors, so this should solve the
Apple logo issue for those running Ivy Bridge’s.
- Make sure VT is turned on in your BIOS, if available.
- No comment on AMD systems. Same applies as previously mentioned here.
- Recommended you run on the latest version of VMware, as that’s what it was
tested on, and apparently fixes Apple logo stalling in certain situations.
- Several driver patches to allow as best a universal build as possible.
- Snappier system. Clicks receive response almost (if not) instantaneously.
- We uploaded an updated VMware Tools to our Mediafire folder here. Hopefully
these should work better than in the last 10.8 image. Again, new VMware
releases will fix VMware Tools so be patient.

As you can see, there are a bunch of changes in this build even if not all have been included. Underneath you can find the setup guide video to show you how it all needs to be setup for it to work correctly. It’s important you take note, because we won’t answer any questions that are already answered in the video. Sorry for the lack of video quality on this one, it was a rushed video:

If you wish to download the OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 Retail VMware Image via torrent, you can grab it from here. As promised, I’m including direct links as well this time around, but you’ll have to deal with the fact that they will be slower than the torrent, even though I have now paid for faster speeds. You can find the direct links here.

Update #1: Currently hearing about some issues with Apple ID for iMessage and iCloud. As of this moment we’re unsure if it’s the VM or just server issues at Apple. Either way we’d like to remind you that this isn’t meant for heavy use, and as such this shouldn’t be a major issue.
Update #2: There’s a fix for iMessage on this build as shown here, although the serial number shouldn’t be an issue in future. It seems to be a problem with this build of ML, and maybe something Apple implemented that we missed. We’ve addressed the problem in the next build.
Update #3: The fix we added above doesn’t work properly and is far from ideal. Our next build (ETA: tomorrow) has a fix which is simple to initiate.

1. chetan says:

Hey Zack,
    I was wondering if it is possible for you to make os X 10.8 to natively install on desktop (Not on virtual machine) as primary operating system.?

Depending on your hardware it should be possible

• Peter says:

possible On ivy Bridge?

• Yoel says:

But how ? Can you make a post about it ? Just once in your lifetime ^_^ . And make it sticky on your bar . This is my wish for long time ago . I think , this method is better than at the VM . It should be cooler when your friends look at your samsung with mac os :) . Please email me ok :)

• Borko says:

I agree, I’m on ivy bridge too, and it would be better for sure to have it as a second operating system. I would like to know too :)

• daz says:

i’m sure if you got as far as getting and understanding ivy bridge a lil more researching could take you all the way. seems to me zack and his team or not if he goes solo.. but alot of effort into the build given as it is. i’m not tryna bash you guys he gave the clear answer ivy is supported.. do the rest of the steps yourself at least. :)

2. star says:

Sweetness!!
    Many thanks to everyone involved!! =D

3. Thundercat says:

Thanks Zack and co.
    You guys RocK!

4. Bill Fromso says:

is this different from dp4?

5. Bob says:

Nice Job! I am currently downloading. Could you give some direction as to how you did this? I have installed OS X 10.7 in VMware but on 10.8 I am stuck. I cant find a tutorial. Please help…

6. Tim says:

Nice one, slowly but surely getting it now. Thank you for your hard work!

7. Bill says:

I upgraded directly from your DP4 image. Everything is great, but couldn’t get imessage working. Any solutions?
    Thanks!

8. Borko says:

Thanks! It works great, I really appreciate it!

9. Cook says:

Thanks for this. Been waiting to update from the 10.7.3. Just need some clarification, by “recomended to run on latest vmware”, do you mean the latest Technology Preview version or the latest release version of vmware (8.0.4). Cause from my experience, I got the best performance when running your 10.7.3 image by using the same vmware version as yours at that time. Anyway, thanks again!

I mean the latest version of Workstation :)

• Cook says:

Actually, what I mean is whether you’re using the latest Beta VMWare Workstation Tech Preview 2012 or the latest VMWare Workstation 8.0.4. Anyway, I’m running it on VMWare 8.04 and its amazingly smooth after install the svga driver II (the vmware tools tech preview in mediafire somehow makes the screen flicker in login screen and on websites with flash)

10. Arthur says:

Thanks for sharing. Is there a new release of VMTools that allows other screen resolutions?

11. Arthur says:

Hi. After I installed this, I got the message “Invalid configuration file…”. Based on other posts that I saw, I create a new virtual machine and then pointed it to the vmdk file form this download. Now I get the error “The guest operating system is not MAC OS X Server”. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Arthur

12. LI says:

OMG, thanks Zack. You are the man.

13. Kris says:

iMessage isn’t working for me either. App Store seems to work. I cannot login with my iCloud account, I get an error that it is not an iCloud account.
    I remember that on Lion there was a trick regarding the network interface but I don’t know what it was…

14. Max says:

Hey Zack!
    Thanks for the awesome work!
    The only problem I face is I’m unable to install any of the vmware tools – normal & tech preview – and vmware svga driver.
    Both install flawlessly in 10.7.4 image.
    In these, after validating install, it says the install failed, contact the software vendor blah blah.

Any suggestions on what to do ??

Restart your VM and they should have installed correctly in spite of the error

• Paul says:

The Install VMWare Tools.app installation failed for me too, but so I restarted the VM like you said, and the resolution was fixed! But I can’t get the Shared Folders to work. I see it briefly show up on the Desktop at startup but it disappears.

15. kuku says:

Hi, I am using acer ASPIRE AMD Turion 2.h ghz processor laptop. I tried many time to install mac os but couldn’t get success. Is it possible that I can install mac os after downloading from your torrent. I would be thankful to you. and very happy if its work in my laptop. Thanks :)

16. JbRbV says:

Thank you and your team, very much. I ran ML and first impressions are good. Great!
    However i cannot sign in to Messages. I checked with Message beta in Lion 10.7.4 and there it’s working. Do you have any clue? I can logon to App Store.

17. Naki says:

You said —->
    We uploaded an updated VMware Tools to our Mediafire folder here.
    —> Where is that file? What file name?
    Does not seem to be updated to me! One is from April. The other, from June. Both are very old.

That’s because they haven’t been updated since then by VMware. We can only host what they create.

18. f1andy83 says:

First THANKS so much for this. But me being a greedy end user (sorry for that) I don’t see air play (Apple tv mirroring) here, how do I enable that feature? it is not being displayed under displays section.

19. Roy says:

This looks great!
    I’m running on what may be a less common setup (VMWare Player 4.0.4 on Ubuntu 12.04) and up until now have used your previous release 10.7.4 with great success.
    However, with this release I’m experiencing some issues, which seem to be graphical at nature:
    * When clicking the notification center, the screen flicker a bit, and there continues to be a red flicker in the right side of the notification center. In addition, when clicking tweet from the notification center, there’s a blank rectangle where I would expect to be the tweet window.
    * Launchpad – clicking the launchpad icon in the dock appears to freeze up the OS, while in fact the screen simply doesn’t respond to actions (the launchpad screen is apparently there, I just can’t see it). Similar stuff happens with Time Machine view.
    The above issues happen with graphical acceleration either disabled or enabled within the virtual machine settings.

Apart from these issues (which I’m hoping can be fixed in time), this is as usual a great release.
    Thanks a lot for your continuing efforts!

20. wannaknow says:

I can’t find any VMWare tools with date of July in here: http://www.mediafire.com/zackehsoul

Where should I download them from?

21. Rahul says:

Hey Zach. Thank you so much for all your efforts. Just wondering, how soon you could upload the direct links because torrents are getting blocked for me for some stupid reason :P . Thank you again.

22. NeedXcode says:

Does this have AMD Support yet? If not, can we expect any 10.7.4 or later vmware build to work on amd?

as of now the only build i have working on amd is a 10.6.7

23. judel says:

currently running on the retail version.. thanks Zack btw how to get rid of the annoying vmware toolbar that keeps coming out?

24. MacWin says:

Nice work, appreciate your consistent quality!
    I’ve used your v10.7.3 and the v10.7.4 and they both were perfect and fast. However when I install the v10.8 it kicks a virtual CPU error on boot.
    VMware WStation 8.04 is guest unlocked (since I’m already running a 64bit v10.7.4) so do you have any idea what might cause this error? My host is plenty fast enough with 8g ram and all non-essential services disemboweled to reduce host resource usage.

25. LMN`8 says:

Many many thanks for your hardworks, Zack.

26. Kronoss says:

How can i make the resolution 1920×1080. There is no option. Only thing is 1024×768.

And i cant use usb flash drive. Vmware says ‘The connection for the USB device “blabla” was unsuccesful.

*sorry about my english.

27. Steve says:

Hi! Can I use the image to install Mountain Lion by bootable USB in my Macbook Air 2011 or does it go well just with VMware on Windows?

28. marina says:

Great Work! Thanks very much!

29. Stuart says:

Got it all up and working with latest VM Tools and SVGA driver all installed.

YouTube videos are pretty much unplayable and the sound is very choppy (on all aspects of the system).

Any tips? Do I need specific sound kexts? Thanks.

(Run on an i3 with 8GB of RAM)

30. Vlad says:

Trying to install VMware Tools, the installer fails at the very last step. I tried both installers (from 4/21/12 and the Tech Preview build from 6/15/12). Please help.

31. mvb says:

Hi Zack,

Your work is fantastic, but I am a Java developer and, as ocurred with 10.7.4 Lion machine, this machine has a strange mouse problem with NetBeans and Intellij Idea.

For some reason the mouse does not work correctly with these programs. I do not know why, it does not work.

Just install Netbeans and try to install a downloaded plugin. When you push the button Add Plugin Netbeans opens a FileDialog Box so that you can find the file of your plugin. This simply does not work you can cannot navigate into directories you click over a directory folder image and nothing happens.

This is only one problem. There are a lot of other problems associated with the mouse.

Unfortunatelly this problems does not allow me work in the Mac.

Please take a look at this. I beleive that the problem is the VMWare Tools.

32. vinix says:

Hi Zack,

First of all, thanks for the wonderful work you’ve done to get ML working in VMWare.

Almost everything installed and works fine. I installed VMWare Tools, SVGA and also the Youtube fix. But for some reason, thee sound still remains choppy. My motherboard is an ASUS P8H61-M LX with ALC887. Any clues on how to get the sound working flawlessly?

33. Chris says:

Dear SDT,

Thanks a bunch for this post. It didn’t take me long to d/l using the .torrent, unpack and then successfully install Mountain Lion in VMWare Workstation 8.0.4.

I was also successful in installing VMWare Tools (though, the OS said the installation failed) and I’ve been able to set the resolution to my monitor resolution. The system is fairly snappy.

Furthermore, I was able to login in to my iCould account on the fly, but both Mail and Messages fail when I try and log on! To me, it seems like there is something blocking the connection.

Also, you say that you’ve updated the VMWare Tools (as stated above). The last update in the folder at Mediafire is however from June. Is this when you last updated the changelog, too?

I would like to personally thank you for your effort and the work you put in.

Yours faithfully,

Chris

34. Koen says:

Hello ZackehSoul,

Thanks for your great image, it’s working pretty good.

I’m running your image on VMWare Workstation 8.0.4 build-744019 (with VMware Workstation Unlocker) on Windows 7 64bits and I have installed the latest VMWare Tools in the image from your Mediafire account (although the installation failed, I believe it’s still successfull).

Unfortunately when I boot up the image to the login screen, the screen completely gets screwed up and it becomes unreadable. I have to exit full screen to see the login screen but after a few seconds it gets screwed up again. I’m able to login and after a few times exiting full screen and entering it again, all is well, the screen restores to normal.

I’ve tried the Hardware Virtualization Bypasser but the patch wasn’t successfull (0 patterns were applied).

Do you know how this can be fixed?

Keep up the good work ;-)

35. Aladin says:

You Can make the Update of OS X 10.8.1 (12B19) without any problem :)

36. JOK3STER says:

Hey, I got it to run fine, except, what’s the password for the user =S?
    Thanks in advance!

I ask because I’m scared to restart the VW, though I did see you tick the “no require password” in one of your videos so I’m guessing I won’t need one; but just to be sure.

Edit: Never mind, I was confused between AppleID password -_-
    Sorry, new to Apple Stuff.

37. Katie says:

You rock my world.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!

38. Adam says:

Hey Zack,

Just wanted to know if update 3 is out? I tried everything to work imessage but nothing was working.

39. Danil says:

Thanks for sharing the great file.

40. Prakash says:

First of all, thank you so very, very much for the VM!

Ok, I’m having trouble connecting to the net in the VM. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I managed to get VMware Tools installed (it showed me the error on installation but on reboot, the VM indicates its installed and additional resolutions/full-screen are working). Yet, I’m not able to connect to the net.

I’m on a Windows 7 machine (the host) with Intel i7 on Asus Rampage Extreme IV. Have no idea where to start or what i’m doing wrong.

I’ve used VMWare with Ubuntu and usually just have it on NAT and/or Bridged but dont fully understand the network settings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

41. Amr Tawfik says:

First of all i would like to thank you for this AWESOME thread but i just have one question.

I own a 6GB RAM – A6 Quad Core laptop, i plan on using this image as my OS for about a month, what are the optimum hardware should i assign to the MAC image through VMWARE?

Thanks in advance.

42. Ian says:

I have successfully loaded the image, but have been unable to load the VMware Tools on the the Mac that Virtual Mac machine. I have checked and re-checked everything that I can think of but nothing seams to be out of place. I constantly get the message “The installation failed.” when I attempt to load the Tools. I also have been unable to find the “link in the download folder” with regards to how to set up the resolution to something other than 1024 x 768. I am running this on an Ivy Bridge i5 processor in a GA-Z77N-WIFI Motherboard, with Geforce GTX 650 GPU and 16 MB of RAM. All hardware is new, running VMware Workstation 9. Have successfully setup Win8 and an Ubuntu VM all running just fine – however, The Mac OS VM appears to be illusive to me.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

43. wison sk says:

44. sasidharan says:

is this only virtual page
    its not an orginal installed os
    when i on my pc i m getting only options as windows 8 and 7 it does not include mac
    why ???

45. Mandy says:

Hi Zach,

will this vm has a password, if have can I know… I’m trying to make a bootable usb flash drive so I can install a fresh mac os x in my laptop…

Thanks in advance…. my mail is mandy_dc28@hotmail.com

46. Awais says:

I am running MAC OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on my Vm Ware Workstation 9.0.1, and when I try to change the display size, there is no Resolution option over there.

You can see the attached screenshot below.

How can I get the mac resolution to fit the whole screen?

47. Sree says:

Hi Zackeh,

I need to work on Xcode, will i be able to download and install Xcode with this image.

My system config is Intel i5 with 4 gb ram on a intel build Mother board

Thanks in advance

48. MichaelP says:

Hello, I am having an issues where OS X runs fine until I try to do really anything such as install xcode or your VMware tools iso etc. It just almost locks completely and the mouse will move roughly every 3 seconds and it wont register mouse clicks or keyboard input.

I ran the unlocker tool first and your 10.8 retail vmx went through the initial system set up perfectly. I have been searching but haven’t found any other answers yet.
    Thank you so much for all your great effort and resources.

I am running VMware 8 on a Surface Pro

49. rambler says:

Thanks for your excellent work!
    I have two questions regarding the app store:
    1. Can I use an existing Apple ID (for my iphone & ipad) to download apps from app store? Can Apple find the hardware is not authorized by Apple so they block my ID?
    2. If updates are available from app store, can I upgarde the system?

1. i) Yes
      ii) Probably, but they don’t (or haven’t yet).
      2. Yes, but take a snapshot first to avoid losing work. If you don’t want to risk that, just hang tight and wait for our say so.

50. Paul says:

Thank You! Works so much better than 10.8.2 Netflix and video play great.
    specs
    2500k@4.8
    8gig 1600
    win7 64
    hd 7950
    Workstation 9

51. manganoid says:

Hi, awesome work. I tried the Mountainlion and it works. Only issues: Apps like Launchpad have the aforementioned behaviour (no screen refresh), similar effect with SunVox audio progam and when I install the VMWARE Tools in the guest OS at the very end it says Installation Failed but when I restat the OSX the screen resizes as it should and I have the shared folders. Very good work. Keep it up