Disclaimer: All work shared in this post is property of ©2012 Soul Dev Team. Anybody wishing to share this work is freely allowed to, provided they give credit to the original creators, and link back to this post.
This is the updated build for OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 Retail, as of the release on 25/07/2012. The system in itself is new so there may be issues which are unknown to us, which means we would appreciate patience with anything we haven’t come across so far. Please also be aware that certain issues could actually stem from applications having not yet been updated to work with Mountain Lion. You can see the changelog and download links below. As usual, we appreciate all donations in order to fund our continued efforts.
OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 Retail VMware Image Changelog
- Apple dropped support for 32-bit mode in DP2 of Mountain Lion, so make sure
you keep the VMware Settings flagged as “Mac OS X 10.7 64-bit” otherwise
no bootable medium will be detected. We are currently working on a
workaround for this. New VMware versions will add support.
- Comes with direct download links as usual, should be faster this time.
- Completely Vanilla build. Drivers are purely patched Apple files.
- Continued new packaging for smaller download.
- Fresh installation of 10.8 Retail, everything was fixed during installation.
- Good boot time, with an average of around 1 minute boot time. Make sure to
give it chance to boot up.
- Kernel includes support for Ivy Bridge processors, so this should solve the
Apple logo issue for those running Ivy Bridge’s.
- Make sure VT is turned on in your BIOS, if available.
- No comment on AMD systems. Same applies as previously mentioned here.
- Recommended you run on the latest version of VMware, as that’s what it was
tested on, and apparently fixes Apple logo stalling in certain situations.
- Several driver patches to allow as best a universal build as possible.
- Snappier system. Clicks receive response almost (if not) instantaneously.
- We uploaded an updated VMware Tools to our Mediafire folder here. Hopefully
these should work better than in the last 10.8 image. Again, new VMware
releases will fix VMware Tools so be patient.
As you can see, there are a bunch of changes in this build even if not all have been included. Underneath you can find the setup guide video to show you how it all needs to be setup for it to work correctly. It’s important you take note, because we won’t answer any questions that are already answered in the video. Sorry for the lack of video quality on this one, it was a rushed video:
If you wish to download the OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 Retail VMware Image via torrent, you can grab it from here. As promised, I’m including direct links as well this time around, but you’ll have to deal with the fact that they will be slower than the torrent, even though I have now paid for faster speeds. You can find the direct links here.
Update #1: Currently hearing about some issues with Apple ID for iMessage and iCloud. As of this moment we’re unsure if it’s the VM or just server issues at Apple. Either way we’d like to remind you that this isn’t meant for heavy use, and as such this shouldn’t be a major issue.
There’s a fix for iMessage on this build as shown here, although the serial number shouldn’t be an issue in future. It seems to be a problem with this build of ML, and maybe something Apple implemented that we missed. We’ve addressed the problem in the next build.
Update #3: The fix we added above doesn’t work properly and is far from ideal. Our next build (ETA: tomorrow) has a fix which is simple to initiate.