Disclaimer: All work shared in this post is property of ©2012 Soul Dev Team. Anybody wishing to share this work is freely allowed to, provided they give credit to the original creators, and link back to this post.

This is something I decided to tryout since I received comments about issues with VMware builds, so I decided to take to VirtualBox to see if that fixes anything. It’s a new area and I only spent about 3 days making it, but it performs just as good as VMware in my eyes, but I’ll let you be the judge. As I’ve said it’s new to me, so I’m not promising any massive amounts of help until I look into it in more detail. Until then let’s just call it an experiment. Make sure to read the following before asking about things:

Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 Retail Virtual Box Image ---------------------------------------------- - Archived as an SFX, just double click the .exe to extract. - Clicking "About This Mac" breaks and relaunches Finder. - Comes with direct downloads, that's the norm from this build onwards. - Completely Vanilla build. No third-party software. - Fresh installation of 10.7.3, everything was taken care of before or during - Good boot times, usually under a minute. - In terms of updating, same as usual goes - don't update without prior knowledge it's safe. - I think this will fix the freezing on Apple Logo... - Requires the modified version of HackBoot (included) to boot. Chameleon can be installed on some machines. - Sound and resolution/graphics may require specific drivers. - Sound may work on some machines without the extra drivers. - This is an *experimental* build. I haven't got much experience with VB so I'm not sure how it'll perform. - To find useful drivers visit here or here. - Using USB Device Filters crashes the guest and freezes the host. - Works smoothly, not lag on the mouse (that I've seen so far). installation.

As you can see it’s not as simple as with VMware, but that’s the price we pay I’m afraid. Hopefully I’ll be able to combine my builds so they run on both softwares (I’ve already taken a look at this; shouldn’t be too hard). Underneath is the setup video, which I recommend you watch as it’s a new platform if you’re coming over from my VMware builds. If you want any download links, just check underneath the video:

If you wish to download the image via torrent, you can just click here. As promised, I’m including direct links as well this time around, but you’ll have to deal with the fact that they will be slower than the torrent. You can find the direct links here.

1. overdrivemachines says:

Hi. Thank you for the work you are doing.
    Is OS X on virtual box more efficient than on VMware?
    I mean like does it run more smoother?

I don’t notice a difference, so if you have VMware working I’d stick with that.

• Peter says:

Hello.
        I know you’ve worked hard in putting all this up but i have a got a problem in installing it..
        when the boot up screen is supposed to show up the whole thing turns black and stay like that forever..
        It would be much appreciated if you could help me with it..

• noone says:

I solved it like this: Settings/Storage/Sata Controller/ ‘Use host I/O cache’ – make sure this is checked.

2. sydd says:

Hi

Thanks for this, i managed to install it easily following your instructions. (i used the latest vmware workstation)

But i have a few problems with the system (Win 7 x64 host, with virtualization enabled CPU):
    - It constantly uses 100% CPU
    - What is the SUDO password?

Thanks for help

The Sudo password is whichever password you set during setup.

• abdouk says:

For the CPU consuming 100%, you may check you virtual machine processor settings and limit the maximum CPU usage to prevent reaching the 100% and prevent the speedy heat!

3. shdwt says:

Hey mate, sorry for the response location but i couldn’t find how to contact you another way, would be kind if you could leave a note how to contact you for questions when or if you’ve got the time.. sent you a message through youtube anyway.. got an issue with my Lenovo Camera on a VMWare Mac. Thanks for all you’re work! you’re the best :)

4. Aphex says:

How can I increase the resolution of my virtualbox osx install? thanks for the upload btw! It works wonderfully!

5. Alex says:

Hi SoulDevTeam :)
    Have you had any luck getting this to run on an AMD Processor? VT is enabled in BIOS but I can’t get past “The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. Power off or reset the virtual machine.” Any advice. Cheers :)

6. Nick says:

So I get start up when u click mac logo or apple logo thing where it says Macintosh and than goes through all the coding at the end it says Darwin X86 Starting but after than its taken long time it hasn’t come to setup screen do know whats going on I need some help i have download torrent and followed video I’m running it on my laptop which has intel chip plus I have tried it on another computer a AMD one and its 64 bit and it starts up fast on X screen and purple and says starting Darwin X86_64 thing and than it goes black screen it never boots up to the start up screen you think you can help me ??

• Vlad says:

I have the same issue and cant figure out whats wrong. Please let me know if you have any ideas how to fix it!

• Beth says:

I’m having the same problem. Anyone had any luck getting past this?

• Manu Singh says:

Same problem i m facing with my Laptop which is Compaq v4000( 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM).

Can anyone help me?

• Prashanth says:

I’m also having AMD Processor and facing the same issue!
      “Not an Intel Platform! Restart fix not applied”
      starting Darwin X86_64…
      and its stopped

:( any update or resolution to fix this…..

7. something funny says:

Big, big kudos, man!

Btw, were you ever able to figure out a way to change the resolution? (Ugh. Ugly black borders!)

Tried these:

No go.
    Any suggestions? :P

• something funny says:

Okay. I found the unfortunate answer:

Virtual Box supports only a set number of resolutions, the two biggest being 1024×768 and 1280×1024.

Therefore, for all laptop users with a screen rez of 1366×768, we’re SOOL as 1280×1024 is too tall, so no matter what, VB will default to 1024×768. Ah, well. Back to VMware. :P

• Aphex says:

well I could use 1280×1024… if anyone finds out please post!

• something funny says:

The link I posted in my original comment should give you a few methods to try out. (I know it says Snow Leopard, but it should work just the same.) Cheers!

Add a string to the com.apple.Boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and add

Graphics Mode
          1280x1024x32

(That might look dumb because of HTML comments, I’ll repost if it does)

It did come out wrong, sigh.

Wrap the Graphics mode with keys and the second line with strings.

• Jay says:

hi, i successfully edited the file above but this doesn’t work. is the same file located at HackBoot Mod.iso (>Extra>com.apple.Boot.plist) loaded each time I open my mac OSX guest machine affecting this? its under iso file hence i cannot apply same changes above… please help…

• Weib says:

I’ve done this, however when I try to restart the mac using the OS restart tool, it fails to shut down. I have to force it to reset using virtualbox… Thoughts?

8. foutraco says:

hi

i have the vmware workstation 8 and the image works fun, but i can’t change display to 1920×1080 event i set manualy. Someone have une solution?

thx

• something funny says:

Unfortunately, Virtual Box only supports 5 resolutions, with 1280×1024 being the biggest. AFAIK, there’s no way to get around that. VB does have a forum on its site you may want to try. Maybe someone on there can give a solution I don’t know about. Best of luck!

9. Pierre says:

work great on my intel core i5-2430…the thing is no sound midi what can i do? thank’s a lot i appreciate

10. Aniruddha says:

hey i have AMD Phenom X4 Quad Core 9950 with 2.6 GHz .
    after setting up the Virtual Box settings when i start the MacOSX , after sum thousands of lines it says
    “NOT AN INTEL PLATFORM- RESTART” –
    what should i do:?
    Regards,
    Aniruddha

11. emptyness says:

Ok guys, I think I managed to get custom resolutions working.
    Install this: http://www.osx86.net/view/1138-chameleon_v2.0-rc5_r752_lion_+_snow.html
    Then use this: http://www.osx86.net/view/2607-chameleon_wizard_4.0.1_chameleon_rc5_v_...html

Open chameleon wizard and go to the settings tab. Enter your custom resolution and save. Don’t update the bootloader.

Reboot and it should work. If not, follow the fourth point in this guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=259876

If it boot ok but the resolution is still wrong, open a terminal and enter this: VBoxManage.exe setextradata "YourVmExactName" "CustomVideoMode1" "1280x800x32"
    Obviously you have to change the resolution to whatever you want.

If the vm crashes while booting… well, you are on your own.

12. charly says:

Hi,

great work. Just one question, is it possible to change the memory and number of processors of the image?..it freezes at boot time when I modify the image configuration.

Thanks a lot.

• charly says:

ok, solved it.

I just disabled the sound in the image. 2gb RAM and 2 CPUs now + 128mb video working fine.

Cheers.

13. Zoltan says:

Hello,

For me the direct links doesn’t work …
    “The following download is not available”

Could you please update?!

Many thanks!

14. chris says:

Has anyone had any luck getting this to work at a different resolution?

15. Mikael says:

I have problems getting the hardware acceleration to work. I have installed Darwin.iso (VMware tools) included and high resolutions works and everything, BUT :P it is very very sluggish! I can’t play youtube movies and well it simply looks like there is no HW acceleration. Very sluggish when I move windows etc. Sound doesn’t work that well either. :(

16. Thomas says:

Hi,

I downloaded the vdi from here: http://cs-puchatek.pl/archiwum-forum/361695-mac-os-x-lion-10-7-3-retail-virtual-box-image.html

After extracting the .vdi with Peazip under Linux I did a MD5 with GtkHash. Sadly it tells me the .vdi Hash is not identical with the one given here: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=tqu4BEEB

Should I be afraid using this .vdi file?

Thanks,
    Tom

17. Thomas says:

Any plans for a VirtualBox Image for 10.7.4?

Please also test it with Linux :D

18. Thomas says:

How the heck did you generate the MD5 of this VBox .vdi file? I downloaded this file now twice – first from a different source – now from your super-slow RS links and both times the hash does not fit to the one given by you :(

I hope it is my fault or the MD5 hash app’s fault…otherwise I wasted a ton of time.

19. Alan says:

Hi Soul Dev Team.

Thank you so much for this fabulous website (which I’ve just found). I’ve been trying to get into MAC programming for some time but, not owning a MAC and not being able to afford one, has proved to be something of a disadvantage – UNTIL NOW :) .

However, when I downloaded this Torrent, my ‘client’ warned that it “…contains files that may harm your computer”. My Avira anti-virus warned that it used a compression method which it didn’t recognise and, when I did try and opened the .exe, it simply hogged all the disk I/O and the only way I could “kill” it was to power down my PC.

Any ideas, please?

Thanks again, Alan

The file that was flagged is the bypasser patch, it’s a false report because of how it was packaged. If you can’t extract the .exe (which is odd) just download 7zip and extract using that.

20. Jasi says:

Does it work on Linux? I tried but hang on “Starting virtual machine…” Have anyone tried on Linux?

21. Jasi says:

It work’s perfect.Switch off any VMs.

22. Chad says:

When it starts it says “This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform.” I followed the video. Does this mean I won’t ever get to use Mac or am I doing something wrong?

23. JR says:

Hello. Many thanks to OP for his work. Guys, please follow the directions carefully, this does work. Make these changes to see if it helps:

1. Set your network to host-only while your setup runs. You can change it back later.

2. Set the clock to UTC.

3. In the VB General tab, set Mac OS X to 64-bit (important!)

4. Give it some power. I run mine with 3 CPU cores, 64 video RAM, but no 3D accel during setup (ok later).

5. See that little icon with green/red dot? That’s not a stack of pancakes, it’s HD activity. If you see it green, its reading and red, writing. Give it some time to work!

24. amin fear says:

hi … dear ZackehSoul & thanks for ur great work !
    please help me with something…

the first time i used your image with virtual box perfectly , but when i force-shutDowned the OSX image with virtual box , the image seems to be corrupted & not loading the osx anymore ! this is after the Apple Icon [ Macintosh ] Boot Option … What should i do ?

25. Frank says:

Any way to install the guest addition? I looked on the vbox forum, and it said that there is none due to license issue. without guest addition, how can you access shared drives/folder from the windows host??? Thanks!

26. Amir says:

Dear ZackehSoul
    Thanks for your great work
    I got it to work on my Intel core i7 X64 notebook, anything is OK, but sound is not working and resolution is an issue. I tried to sole them following various methods, mentioned on net, but nothing happened. for solving resolution I need to edit boot file in extra folder on hackboot Mod.iso but is’s locked.

27. Alexandre Cazes says:

Thanks for this file! Been looking for a WHILE how to get Lion running on my Virtualbox. Works like a charm right out of the box.

28. Franco Zapata says:

Hi,
    can I install Xcode using my existent account XcodeDeveloper? or Will Ap.ple detect my Virtual MacOS and will it mark my Xcode account as blacklist?

29. Tony says:

thank you so much for this release – for some reason I was never able to make your VMware images work but this one works like a charm in Virtual Box – have to say liking Virtual Box more and more

30. Tyler says:

Thanks a lot of your dedicated works. I ‘ve been try to install Mac OSX lion on my win7 desktop for many months. Finally, Your method worked. Thanks again.

31. Matt says:

When I did this, the beginning (with the X background) it took a very long time. Is it normal?

32. hOAx2000 says:

Alright Mate,
    This is fantastic having this option however when i try to boot I get the X, seems to be loading and then a black screen? and it will just hang there for along time. I take it you don’t have a copy of the video ?

33. AcornBBCnut says:

Can you please post a new link to your setup video as YT seems to have deleted it.

Also, what script are you using for this comments page? I really like the nested reply feature and would love a copy.

34. Vivo says:

Hi,
    The youtube video is down…
    Is there another?

35. Triffid Hunter says:

hackboot stalls at ‘Starting Darwin x86_64′, the OSX option does some booting and ends up at WSOD, youtube video is dead and no setup instructions anywhere else that I can find…

I’ve ensured VirtualBox is set to Mac OSX 64bit, turned off sound, enabled host cache, and various combinations thereof to no avail…

what can I check/change/alter to have this actually work?

36. NR says:

Any news on new VirtualBox Image, this one only shows me black screen. and as already said no install instructions.

So when may we have na hope to see the light?

Thanks.. keep up the excelent work…