Disclaimer: All work shared in this post is property of ©2012 Soul Dev Team. Anybody wishing to share this work is freely allowed to, provided they give credit to the original creators, and link back to this post.

Yesterday I started off the Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 VMware Image and so far it’s been picked up by a few hundred people, and feedback is good. It’s been a long time in the coming because I’ve been testing out new methods to make it smoother, and fixing various bugs (the release of OS X 10.8 in the middle of things didn’t help). Not everything I tested with this build is included, purely because I don’t think I’ve perfected it yet, but you can read a few things that’ve changed below. Don’t worry though, the moment 10.7.4 is released, my build should be ready to go and be pretty awesome (if I do say so myself). The list of (included) changes in this build are as follows:

Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 VMware Image Changelog -------------------------------------------- - Comes with direct download links. Nothing special, but requested. - Completely Vanilla build (aesthetically). No customized Bootloaders etc. - Faster boot up time. Boots up in under 30 seconds on my machine. - Fresh installation of 10.7.3, everything was taken care of before or during installation. - Improved support for AMD. By this I don't mean every AMD machine is now working, but those which weren't beforehand now have a better chance of working. - New packaging method which allowed for a smaller download. - Several driver patches to allow as best a universal build as possible. - Snappier system. Clicks receive response almost (if not) instantaneously. - Sound working natively (without additional drivers (on some machines)).

As you can see, there are a bunch of changes in this build even if not all have been included. Underneath you can find the setup guide video to show you how it all comes together and demonstrates how it works. If you want any download links, just check underneath the video:

If you wish to download the image via torrent, you can just click here. As promised, I’m including direct links as well this time around, but you’ll have to deal with the fact that they will be slower than the torrent. You can find the direct links here.

[Update]: If you’re using VMware Workstation 7.x, you need to create a new Virtual Machine (designated as Mac OS X 10.6) and just point to the .vmdk I provided as the virtual drive. Mistake on my part with the .vmx file.

1. Lucas Ponzo says:

Very good Job!

But I have a problem here:

The screen resolution available is only 1024×760. Even forcing detecting displays the resolutions available remains 1024×760.

How to adjust for other resolutions?

If you install VMware tools or SVGA from http://mediafire.com/zackehsoul you should notice a difference

• Luke says:

Hi, Zackel. I ran 10.7.3 on VMware 7.4 and it didn’t work. So, I used VMware 8.0.1 and it worked, but the display resolution wasn’t good. I think because there wasn’t VMware tools getting ready for VMware 8. So I reinstalled os x 10.7.2 on VMware 8, and the full display screen was very good, definetely better of VMware 7.4. I think it worked because I could use VMware tools for 7.4 on 8.0.1.

My display is 1920×1080 with HDMI connection. When I used VMware tools the resolution was perfect. Then I installed SVGA and it got worse. And it was the same when I changd HDMI to analogic.

Thanks a lot for your contribute to spreading knowledge and your efforts

2. john says:

thank you,cool share!!

3. john says:

hello!!well when i try to run this WMware MacOS i get this error..
    Invalid configuration file. File “C:\Users\johnStudio\Documents\Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 VMware Image\Mac OS X Lion\Mac OS X Lion.vmx” was created by a VMware product with more features than this version of VMware Workstation and cannot be used with this version of VMware Workstation.
    Cannot open configuration file C:\Users\john Studio\Documents\Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 VMware Image\Mac OS X Lion\Mac OS X Lion.vmx.

i have VMware 7.1.3 build-324285 because 1 was running mac-os-x-snow-leopard-10-6-8.

Okay, if you run the unlocker and create a new VM for Mac OS X 10.6 and select the .vmdk I provided as the virtual hard drive to use, you should be fine!

• john says:

maybe i did something wrong with this”if you run the unlocker and create a new VM for Mac OS X 10.6 and select the .vmdk I provided as the virtual hard drive to use, you should be fine”can you explain a little bit better?sorry im a newbie.

• john says:

ok is me again,i runned the unlocker-create a new virtual machine-MacOS is not showing in the options so i select “other” i select the vmdk file and then i get a black screen and after i few minutes i get this message “system not found”

• john says:

update is not working in VMrare versions VMware Workstation v7.1.3-324285 and VMware-workstation-full-8.0.0-471780 like i said before i dont know if this VMware MacOSimage is only for windows 64 bits.

4. leo says:

yeah had the same problem as john. So had to use vmware version 8. But although it got passed the error message it stayed at showing the grey logo stage without the spining circular progress indicator. And yes i did ran the vmware unlocker.

• leo says:

got mine working now. After reading the post here looks like i need to upgrade vmware to 8.02.
      Unlike 10.7.2, it does not show the spinning progress animation at the grey apple logo anymore, so it misled me to think it got stuck.

5. jack says:

May I know the exact version of VMWare 8 you are using? Is it 8.01 or 8.02? Thanks!

6. john says:

this Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 VMware Image is for windows 64 bits?i have windows 7 32 bits and i followed what you said in the last reply and is not working.

7. Brian says:

Thanks for this! I’ve been rocking 10.6.8 in VMware Workstation for ages and finally need to jump ship to 10.7.

8. Brian says:

Yup, everything is working fine OOTB. Graphics performance is very poor, but installing http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=188962 made things much, MUCH better.

9. dajo says:

It hangs at the gray screen with the apple logo.. On a Win 7 64bit ultimate, vmware 8 and a capable pc/gfx (i7 920, 12gb ram, gtx470). Any advice? Creating a new vmware based on the vmdk doesn’t seem to work.. The 10.7.2 worked fine!

10. Zach says:

I updated to 8.0.2 not that long ago. I was completely unaware that it would break compatability with the current version of the Hardware Virtulization Bypasser. Is there a version updated to support 8.0.2 and/or will there be one by the next release? It’s not a huge issue because I only have one PC that needs it but I’d be very appreciative to get more info.

11. osx86 dude says:

hi, very good job on helping the public!

but i have a few questions:
    1. does this work on workstation 7.1.5, build-491717?

2. i already unlocked vmware workstation for my osx 10.6.2 last year, do i have to unlock it again?

3. will multi-touch gestures(three finger swipe down enables something, etc) work on the VM? i have a multi touch trackpad on my PC.

please reply, once again thanks a lot!!!

12. sam says:

awesome work firstly.

ok, i was able to get 10.7.2 working on my windows 7 64bit (intel quad core) but having trouble with 10.7.3. whenever i start 10.7.3, it stays on the apple logo. what server was 10.7.3 built on? i guess what version should this be under? i have tried os x 10.7, 64 bit, 10.6 64bit but to no avail. any help would be appreciated

• Luke says:

Hi Sam, which VMware version do you run? Zackesoul writes at the beginning of the post that 10.7.3 doesn’t work on VMware 7.x

Download (I think you can do that from the VMware site) latest version 8.0.2

Then, use this link to download the unlock WMware:
      I copied it just from the download section of soul site.

The last thing you should do is download VMware tools just using workstation (it won’t block the software): I had to do that because the screen resolution wasn’t good.

Let me know

• sam says:

ah ok. i been using vmware version 8.0 build-471780.

i will try downloading the latest version and then see if it works.

• Dozzila says:

same here :( , and using vmware 8.0.1 build 852992, after the log, the machine goes down, nothing displayed

13. kk says:

need orginal password. thanks a lot~
    it works great.
    i used VM 8.0.2

14. prashant says:

I am not able to add a shared folder. after adding shared folder to shared folder preferences and enabling it, it never shows the folder on desktop as it does in 10.6.8. There is absolutely no way to access my hard disk content.

Did you install VMware Tools?

• prashant says:

After installing VMWare tools, when I power on the Guest OS, the shared folder icon will appear on desktop for a second and then disappear. Moreover, display will change to my laptop’s native resolution after being in 1024*768 for a second. Is this normal?

• nightstorm says:

Maybe a very late reply but here is a solution for having vmware shared folders always visible. Ofcourse first you must edit the settings for the virtual machine and under options enable shared folders:

Step 1: (Make sure you are quick on this)

Soon as your mac desktop appears double click on vmware shared folders before it disappears so that the shared folder window will open.

Step 2:

On the shared folder window right click the label on the top centre of the window that says vmware shared folder and you will have options for some other directories like “my mac” or whatever you named your account. Click on that directory and there you will see your vmware shared folder.

Step 3:

Drag that vmware shared folder to the dock so that a shortcut is placed in the dock and voila the shared folders will always be available to you from now on

• Hugo says:

I too have this problem, I would appreciate any help you could give ?

• Andy says:

Perfect installation! VMWare Tools installed from Darwin.iso.
      But, as these two posters, Shared Folders do not appear on the Mac desktop.
      Running VMWare Workstation 8.0
      Win7 x64

• Andy says:

Just to clarify: just like for Prashant, the shared folders appear on the top right corner of the Mac desktop for one second at logon, then disappear.

• Raz says:

The Guest Additions aren’t available for Mac OS X, so shared folders do not work.

You can still share folders on the host with the guest via the network. It is pretty simple:

1) Share a folder from the actual host machine (from the OS itself, not through the vbox shared folders settings)
      2) Use NAT for your guest’s network settings
      3) From Mac OS X, Open “Finder”
      4) From the top menu, navigate to Go->Connect to Server
      5) For “Server Address” enter smb://192.168.1.2 (replace with your host local ip)
      6) Click “Connect”
      7) Enter your username and password (for the host machine)
      8) Select the shared folder from the list

Done :-)

15. Guilherme says:

Whats the root password? Wanna modify the file that allows to config my screen resolution.

16. korenani says:

Hey,

What the user name password on os x 10.7.3 …
    I need to open more users!

Thanks!

17. Peter says:

Good work =)
    Ivé got an issue with this vmware image. Running 8.0.2 and have done the vmware unlocker. The only thing that happens is the vmware logo shows, nothing else. Any sugestions?

• Kush says:

Ditto, I have the exact same problem, I updated to 8.02, still nothing I’m stuck on the vmware grey screen indefinetly with no progression to the gray apple logo or anything else. I also tried hardware bypassing, re-installed vmware still nothing please advice. Running (8.0.2 build-591240) in case your wondering.

18. I love Mac says:

Hi, what do I do if I get stuck on the apple logo booting screen?

19. osx86 dude says:

By the way, what is the use of the MD5 that you in included with the direct download links?

It’s just to make sure the file downloaded properly, it’s just there in case you want to check your download worked correctly.

20. overdrivemachines says:

I have been following your channels on youtube for a while. All the other builds worked perfectly fine. However this one I just cant get it to work.

It is stuck at the gray screen with the apple logo.

Im using VMWare Workstation 8.0.0 build-471780. Core i7 laptop with Virtualization enabled in the BIOS. I did not changes to any of the settings. Remember 10.7 works perfectly fine. But I really need this to work since I really need to use XCode.

I’m getting this a lot, and it’s due to a couple of .kext files (I think) I’ve tracked down. I’ll get working on a fix.

• Tesla says:

Hey ZackehSoul, could you track down the problem? I spent a lot on these downloads and I still can’t run a virtual machine, any help would be dearly appreciated.

• MacDemo says:

Mmm
        Well I have the exact same problem there. It stucks at that gray screen. Same VM workstation and i7 too.
        Is there already a fix ?
        But isn’t it possible to inject those kext files in the VM virtual disk. Or which ones do you think are missing. Can you make them available for download.

You know what a .kext is right? If so, you know I can’t just tell you so go install certain ones…

• MacDemo says:

Kernel extensions are ussually located System/Libraries/Extensions
            People say previous versions work.
            And you said “(I think) I’ve tracked down.” which means you know which kexts you probably just removed.
            I could map the .vmdk on my physical mac machine and place the right kext files back there. Then….
            If I am totally wrong forget about it.

The ones that I removed were non-essential and I replaced them with better ones for the installation. A .kext is basically a driver, and to get it working on your machine you’d need specific drivers for your hardware.

21. osx86 dude says:

hi, i got it up and running :)
    but i have a few problems:
    1. multitouch gestures don’t work on my multitouch trackpad. i think apple only accepts apple magic trackpad…?

2. is there any way to connect to a wifi network from the VM itself, instead of connecting from host and bridging over?

please reply, i would be thankful! (btw, I’m posting this from the VM :D )

That’s something I didn’t realise, since I did all my original config on a MacBook (not that that helps, if anything it’s a bit of a burden). It probably needs a given kext. What’s your trackpad?

And I’m not an expert with VMware, people often make that mistake :p Erm, I’d assume as long as you had the drivers to detect the network installed in the guest it’d work.

• osx86 dude says:

My trackpad is a multitouch trackpad, on the VM, I tap once with three fingers and it shows the “right-click” menu, like it’s supposed to only host computer, as I configured it that way.

And what drivers are you talking about? Please help thanks :)

22. aaron says:

what is the user password? i type password but not it work. worng password

23. Johan says:

Hi,

Installation of the 10.7.3 image on VMWare workstation 8.0.2 on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64bit desktop worked flawlessly and is running fine.

The server it is running on, have two Ethernet ports but I can not get OSX to recognize the two VMWare Ethernet devices.

In VMWare I created vmnet0 and vmnet1 and bridged each one to eth0 and eth1 respectively. Even if I do a clean install again using your image, OSX will only create one Ethernet device, en0.

How can I get OSX to create a second Ethernet device?

I think it’s not possible as Mac only have one ethernet port so wouldn’t recognise another. (That sounds too stupid even as I say it). I’ll take a look!

24. Zuhairi says:

Hey man! Good work!

I got a question on the display as well.

How do you install the VMware tools that you posted before? I try install it when running, but it gives me an error, “could not find component on update server.”

Appreciate your help!

You need to install using the .app as opposed to through VMware

• osx86 dude says:

Hi, I also have that problem :( where can I find the .app file download please? Thanks very much! :D

• id says:

Same issue here. All works fine except the screen resolutions. Where can we find the VMware Tools .app?

VWware Workstation 8.0.2
        Win 7 SP1

And also – thanks for all the work.

25. Derrick says:

When i power on the virtual machine is shows up “X” Cross sign instead of apple logo and turns off automatically. any idea how to fix this?

What config are you using (hardware)?

• vividCode says:

I also get “X” Cross sign just like couple of other users get.

My config;
        Intel Core 2 duo T5270 – virtualization disabled, 2 GB RAM

Already tried the unlocker and bypasser patch.
        No longer get VT-x error.
        However I got this:
        Software virtualization is incompatible with long mode on this platform. Disabling long mode. Without long mode support, the virtual machine will not be able to run 64 bit code.

After that this X sign appears, and it powers off in a minute.

Please help…!

• Alumni says:

Same thing happening with me. Tried VMWare 8.0.1 and .0.3 but it either never patches the vmware-vmx file right or it only patches 1 of 11 patterns. Any ideas?

26. Randy says:

I am playing with instaDMG to create slip streamed customized boot images and I am doing them in the VMs so I can play with the Pref settings and how to properly script them.

Anywa, I create a 20 GB storage drive in the VM, and I store the final DMG file there. I then reboot the system with the Recovery HD as the Startup Disk and then use Disk Utility to image the primary HD with the customized instaDMG image.

When I reboot to that disk, I get a Kernel Panic, something about kext and AHCI.

I am guess because I wiped the drive with a vanilla + some updates image, that I need to make further changes in order for them to boot with the unlocked VMWare.

I seem to remember the AHCI and something about deleting certain kexts … does that sound correct?

You may need to install custom kext or delete certain kext. It depends on the error being thrown. Can you give more info?

27. RikBakhuizen says:

Hai there,

Great job everything almost evrything works here with me! The only thing that doesn’t work is my cd/dvd-drive!
    He’s not showing it! Could it be because it’s a blu ray drive

Can you help me with that problem??

Thnx

28. CookieHaid says:

Thanks for all your work. I have an AMD Athelon II X2 Dual-Core 255. Anyone have any luck on theirs? I get stuck at the Apple logo, and the CPU drops from about 70% to 5%.

29. RikBakhuizen says:

or could be because an sata connection on the main board

30. alx says:

It works great thank you much) but there is one thing: it has only 3mb of video memory when i look at system info. so is it possble to get more? sorry for my english by the way:D

31. Ahmed says:

Thanks a ton! Works like a charm

32. Yuva says:

When I was using Vmware Workstation 8.0.0, the guest didn’t boot up. I was stuck at the apple logo. Later when I used VM version 8.0.2, it works like a charm!! Thank you Zack! Keep up the good work!! :-)

33. cukal says:

Hi there,

I only got this running using the official trial version VMWare Workstation 8.0.2 build-591240 and the unlock patch included with 7.10.3

Tried a zillion things, VMWare 7.x, some other Lion 7.1 vmdk’s etc, but this one is the only one that actually worked when I switched to 8.0.2.

It’s a bit slowish in loading and when it’s installing the vmware tools (maybe because I’m using 1 CPU/2Gb ram, my guest is hardly using cpu…), but tailing the vmwarelog file gives some output that it’s working. There is no indication while booting, taskmanager, HD indicator light & tailing the logfile are the only pointers you get something is happening and it’s just not hanging endlessly with the apple logo.

Next up: Install ios dev environment. Let’s see how that fares!

Thanks!

34. ramdak says:

I got this working nice! But I got no sound… any fix?

35. Robert says:

I’m getting zero seeds for the torrent. 0 bytes downloaded after 25 hours.
    Is the torrent still shared?

36. theprototype says:

hIII…broo i am getting a message while powering on VM the message is “unable to process CD-ROM device ‘E’.The system cannot find the specified please ensure that your configuration is correct.Virtual device ide 1:0 will start disconnected”. And also it gets stuck at Apple logo. Nothing happened when switch it to connected mode located at right bottom of vmware. Please give any solution for it. THANKS FOR A GREAT TUTORIAL.

system configuration:
    Intel core 2 duo
    2 gb ram
    ATI Radeon graphic card-512 MB

37. jttraverse says:

I’m trying VMware Player 4 and the Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 image (first-timer with VMware). Unfortunately, when I ‘play’ the Mac virtual machine, I get to the gray Apple logo, and a small window saying I can connect some of my USB devices within the VM, but then the small window says my devices are disconnecting..something to that effect..and the whole VMware program crashes. As a test, if I create some other virtual machine, even without an OS installed yet, it doesn’t crash, so perhaps it’s something in the combination of VMware Player and this Mac image, or just the Mac image…don’t know.
    I’m going to try VMWare Workstation 8.0.2 in a bit and see if that makes a difference, but if anyone has an idea what may be happening now, I’d appreciate the info.
    Thanks…definitely want to get this working.
    -JT

There shouldn’t be any issues with USBs crashing the VM as they’re recognised as universal USB ports as found on Macs

38. John says:

does this work in VMserver 2.0?

any unlocker for this?

39. Robert says:

At the greyish Apple logo screen, I’m getting a popup with the message “the cpu has been disabled by the guest operating system. power off or reset the virtual machine”.
    Is this AMD CPU related/specific ?

40. Naomi says:

Why vmware-vmx-patch.exe virus detected with lots of Antivirus software ?

41. Robert says:

The damage has been done. Someone reported this page as spreading malicious software and being harmful for your computer. (AVG and NOD32)

• osx86 dude says:

It isnt virus. Don’t be so bad. Zackehhsoul is a good guy who seriously knows about osx85.

*osx86

• Robert says:

You misunderstood.
          I’m just letting ZackehSoul know what I gewt to see when I visit this page. I added exceptions so I do not see the warnings anymore, and so that the internet connection doesn’t get terminated by the virus scanner.
          I’m on ZackehSoul’s side.

It’s because I originally hosted the Hardware Bypasser myself and it was reported as a virus so I moved it to Mediafire. Unfortunately my site is still flagged.

• Robert says:

That’s odd. They must have put it back in force then. Because up until I started this post, none of the pages on this blog were blocked for me, and the connection wasn’t terminated by NOD32. Now every blog page is blocked by NOD32.
            Looks to me like someone is targeting you. Be careful, because if it goes on for too long, Google will eventually also warn against this site. I’ll keep quiet now because this is offtopic.

42. User says:

My boot is stuck at PCI Configuration Begin, can someone help? Keep reading that some kext needs to be modified, but why noone else is getting this problem with the release?

Thnx in advance.

43. GmanOTM says:

Hey, you’re amazing.

1) VT bypass worked perfect for Snow Leopard sever as well as OS X Guest on my non VT core 2 duo and that’s all I wanted (Snow Leopard sever) on that machine

2)On my VT enabled core 2 duo machine Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion Beta all came up no probs. Amazing!

My only problem (which I’m not understanding answers in earlier posts) is getting Lion and Mountain Lion to auto fit guests to screen so I can get full 1440×900 in VMWare full screen. It stays stuck at 1024 x768.

I’m running VMWare workstation 8.0.1 on Win 7 Pro 64-bit 6.1.7601, Service Pack 1.

Can anyone give me a step by step. Like what to do in Kext and what is Kext or is that only a linux thing. I haven’t been able to understand comment on this in above posts.

Lastly, I’d like to donate something. Can’t be a lot cause I’m on disability right now but I noticed you don’t have PayPal which is all I will use on Internet. Could send a money order if you can provide address.

Thanks again for your hard work!!!

44. mvb says:

Hi,

I have a 10.6.7 running perfectly in my Workstation 7. I had problems with the version of Workstation since because of my chipset.So I do not want to use another version of VMWare.

Do you think it your image will do ok with Workstation 7.x

45. Pancho says:

I’ve seen several people that have had the same problem, after all only appears screen with apple logo, but nothing else.

I’m using VMware 8.0.2 with the patch, W 7 Prof 32bit. CPU: Intel Core2 + 4GB RAM

Could you help me?

46. mvb says:

Hi,

I have a VMWare Workstation 7.1.3. I have already a Snow Loepard working perfectly. I have downloaded your image, created a Viewtual Machine 10.6.4-64 Bit and pointed to your VMK.

My Machine has 8Gb of RAM that’a the only difference. When I start the machine the apple appears, the loading indicator start after some time a forbidden simbol appears in the place of the apple and the machine does not start.

Help please ???
    Thanks in advance

47. Truth72 says:

This is really really a great job. I was told that we couldnt run lion os without specific hardware and this changes the thought process for me. Please email when you get a chance as I have a question to ask.

48. Simba_Lion says:

Well done ZackehSoul, you most certainly rule!

Works well on a Wintel i5 Lappie.

Only thing is sound recording, i.e microphone input.
    Recording sounds like a robot, very choppy sound.

Right click QuickTime Player > New Audio Recording…
    the resulting audio recording is barely audible.
    Facetime also suffers as a result of sound input problem.

The output is working fine.

Hardware is IDT HD Audio soundcard. I tried using an external mic, line input, as well as USB microphone. Same problem.

Is there a particular audio driver pack to use to fix it?

Thanks again.
    Excellent work!

• chris says:

I have the same audio problem. Installed 10.7.3 onto lenovo t420s, windows 7 using vmplayer 4.x. Worked perfectly “out of the box,” audio output works, but NO AUDIO INPUT. Is there a patch, driver, whatever to get host internal microphone to pass thru vmplayer to vm mac? Is there a mac driver? VMPlayer tools are up to date.

Thanks. Top kudos to you for a fantastic vmdk and your service to us all.

49. younhitman says:

i dont really have a problem everything is working buts i was wondering if anyone else is having a problem with iTunes this is the message i get “iTunes is unable to browse album cover on this computer” my other problem is youtube I’ve installed adobe flash as required but when i play a video nothing appears on the screen but i can here sound from the the video playing a fix to resolve this will be very much appreciated

50. Troy says:

Can you post a .vmx file for VMware Workstation 7.1.4 that works with your 10.7.3 virtual disk. I cannot seem to create one that works. I can run your 10.7.1 VM just fine. I’d like to get 10.7.3 working. Thanks!

51. Gagan says:

everything is working fine accept youtube videos, flash player and VMware tools installed and tried youtube videos in different browsers. any suggestions.

52. Adrian says:

Yo zackeh where is the new version of vmware tools man :/ and is there a way to install microsoft office on the system? because it only has 250 gb

• Adrian says:

Oh and also can you use gestures on this system? like desktop changing?

• Robert says:

vmware tools can be extracted from the trial version of VMware Fusion :
      VMware Fusion 4.1.1 (for Mac OS X) 11/23/11 | 4.1.1 | 181MB | Binary (.dmg)

And 250GB leaves approximately 125 installs of MS Office, after OS X has been installed.

• Robert says:

This is the path in the VMware Fusion .dmg to VMware Tools : /VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/isoimages

• Adrian says:

Sweet thanks for the reply, but how do i open the .dmg file?

• osx86 dude says:

You first download it on your host computer and extract the file that Robert had mentioned, on your host PC (Lion sees the file as a installer and it’s harder to be extracted that way; windows sees it as a .app folder so it’s easier), transfer ONLY that file to your lion virtual machine via a thumbdrive or external HDD or some other way, and open it on the VM. Then enjoy :)

• Robert says:

On OS X :
            Just mount the .dmg file, browse to the folder I mentioned, and drag and drop the relevant files to where you want.

On Windows use UltraISO or similar and then copy the files to OS X with a USB stick or through the network, or a use a shared folder.

Then install from there.

• Adrian says:

You guys are awesome! Thanks for helping me so much (: but i was wondering if it is possible to do the gestures like 4 fingers chang e desktop

• Robert says:

Assuming that you mean these gestures :

Then I guess you would have to have a :
            – 1) check in System Preferences that (all) gestures are enabled.
            – 2) trackpad/touchpad
            – 3) a) a native OS X Lion driver for it
            – b) or a Windows driver which mimics most of the Lion gestures AND works well with the VMware drivers. Mine (trackpad of a HP dm1z-3125ed) does all its gestures magic in virtualized Windows 7, Ubuntu Linux, and Bodhi Linux. But I believe that they are still a subset of the gestures available in Lion. No 4-fingers for example.
            But I don’t know about virtualized OS X though. I’m waiting for the AMD version of this.
            Just keep playing with these things. It’s also a nice way to quickly learn your way around the OS.

• Robert says:

That’s should have been :
            “Mine (trackpad of a HP dm1z-3125ed) does all its gestures magic in virtualized Windows 7, Ubuntu Linux, and Bodhi Linux. All on a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit host.”

• Robert says:

admin when possible, please merge the last 3 comments into one please. This last comment contains the correct sentence :
            “Mine (trackpad of a HP dm1z-3125ed) does all its gestures magic in virtualized Windows 7, virtualized Ubuntu Linux, and virtualized Bodhi Linux. All on a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit host.”

• Adrian says:

So What can i do to make it so i can use gestures :S?

53. alan says:

So i’ve run the unlocker as admin and tried to start the vm in workstation 7.1.5 and get the following message :

Invalid configuration file. File “C:\_alan\virtualMachines\Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 VMware Image\Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 VMware Image\Mac OS X Lion\Mac OS X Lion.vmx” was created by a VMware product with more features than this version of VMware Workstation and cannot be used with this version of VMware Workstation.
    Cannot open configuration file C:\_alan\virtualMachines\Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 VMware Image\Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 VMware Image\Mac OS X Lion\Mac OS X Lion.vmx.

I’ve been running a vm of snow leopard for a while with no issues in the same set up.

What have i missed ?

Alan

54. alan says:

So to try another route I’ve upgraded to VM Workstation 8.02, run the patcher and tried to run again, this time I see an error :

Could not get vmx86 driver version: The handle is invalid.

You have an incorrect version of driver “vmx86.sys”. Try reinstalling VMware Workstation.

Failed to initialize monitor device.

I’m not having a good day :O(

• alan says:

ah haaa…

you need to run workstation as administrator then it works as described !!

Thank you for this release.

55. alan says:

I’m also seeing issues with installing VMWare tools within the VM.

I’ve download the Fusion trial and extracted the darwin.iso and opened in the Lion vm, install gets all the way to the end then throws an error :

Installation Failed. The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact software manufacturer for assistance.

Has anyone gotten the tools to install properly, is there a trick to doing it ?

Alan

• Robert says:

I do not know what’s going wrong for you mate. Did you mount and install as root?

If that’s not the problem, you can knock yourself out here (just ignore the symptoms and follow the directions for a Mac OS X Guest) : http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1014522

P.S. Alternatively, you could go to the downloads page ( http://www.souldevteam.net/blog/downloads/ ) and scroll down to the “VMware Unlockers:” section. From there download “vmware-unlocker-mac-os-x-guest.zip” from the “VMware Unlocker – Mac OS X Guest” link.
      You will find a “README.txt” file, and a “Tools” folder along this path in the zip file : “vmware-unlocker-mac-os-x-guest\VMware 8.x Series”. It contains the VMware Tools for the OS X Guest : “darwin.iso” and “darwin.iso.sig”.
      Also read the “README.txt” regarding Tools installation.

56. Xavier says:

hello, thanks for the Download! when i try and boot i get “the Guest operating system disabled the cpu”. why is this and how to fix? i have a AMD Athlon 11 X2 P320 if that helps. thanks very much!

57. Karthik says:

Hi and Thanks for the update it works great but i have one small issue. I am unable to connect to the internet when in OSX 10.7 so can u help me figure this issue out and how to settle it. thanks

58. assie says:

Hi,

Can you check if you can install Xcode 4.3.2 through App Store in the VM? Thanks!

59. wez says:

Zach,

Thanks for the great stuff.

I just installed VMware Workstation 8.0.0 Build 471780 and tested the 10.7.3 image on a fresh notebook. I followed your instructions on the video and installed vmware unlocker without any problems.

Unfortunately, I also got stuck on the apple logo. Are there fixes at the moment? What about the audio and video drivers you mentioned?

cheers.

60. jonnylbluejeans says:

I’m wondering, with all of the sites showing how to set this up…

Why isn’t there a pre-installed VM out there floating around? Wouldn’t that be easier?

Should this be my contribution after I get it working?

61. John Peterson says:

What is Unlocker.exe?

Can you provide the source or explain what it does?

62. John Peterson says:

Or provide a binary diff?

63. Liak says:

Hey there, um may I ask if there are any Quartz Extreme/Core Image graphic drivers for VMWare?
    Thanks a lot!

64. Bill says:

After updating a few days ago to 10.7.4, all I get upon reboot is the Apple screen.

I saw another post somewhere that said uninstalling 8.02 and reinstalling fixed the problem. I’ve done this plus upgraded to 8.03 and still stuck at the Apple screen.

Any ideas?

65. EinfP says:

and yes, i checked to find that i use 64bit

66. Ben says:

Just a quick question, Zackehsoul. Can I use the system update to update the OS?

67. Ben says:

I have installed VM tools and it fixed the resolution problem but my keyword is not working anymore any restart system. Any fix?

68. luoc says:

Hello, ZackehSoul.
    Very appreciated for your images. It’s really helpful.
    However, when I update the OS to 10.7.4 via the soft update built in the system, the virtual machine boots incredibly slowly.
    So I just want to know how your guys make the VM boots faster? It there a tutorials?
    Thanks again!

No, unfortunately there isn’t because our funds come primarily from YouTube views, hence we don’t want other people using our methods. I’m back from the US now, so I’ll get working on a 10.7.4 build immediately.

• luoc says:

Ok…Another question. Since it’s not convenient to down a new image and lose our modification in the last one. I want to know is there other way to update our VM without download all new image? For example, may I update immediately using a dmg and then install some pkg from your guys? Because these pkgs is much smaller than a new VM image.
        Any ways?

• aindrago says:

Yes is that possible?

We already support that and have them hosted on the Downloads page. But that only fixes the image enough to boot the system, and you may experience some lag or whatever, which is why we always build it up from scratch again just in case. The 10.7.4 fixer will be out as soon as I get a chance to look at it.

• aindrago says:

Thanks for your hardwork.

• luoc says:

Thanks. Since your 10.7.3 img meets some lag on my desktop, I update from 10.7.2 to 10.7.4. It works fine except the boot time -about 30min to enter the system:(
            Looking forward to your fixer~

• luoc says:

PS:what’s the difference between fixer script and fixer package?
            Are they both necessary or either one of them is enough?:P

• George says:

First of all. Thanks for the hard work.

I had exact same problem. System takes 30min to boot after updating to 10.7.4 within the 10.7.3 image built vm guest.

Question:
            is it possible to make the OSX software update just work?

Or apply a patch after upgrading to 10.7.4? If so, will such patch be different every time Apple release next update on 10.7 in the future?

Thanks,

George

69. Tu says:

Hi, the installation is fine. But Mac inside VMware workstation 8.0.3 does not recognize my cpu (it shows a generic 1ghz cpu) and graphic card (and it runs really slow). Can somebody show me how to fix this problem? Thank you.

70. bjazmoore says:

When do you think you will be releasing 10.7.4?

71. Robert says:

Hi,
    I followed your steps completely and up to this point everything is working.

However, I ran into this problem:
    I am attempting to install java 1.5 on my system following the instructions given in http://www.s-seven.net/java_15_lion.

At step 3 I am supposed to open a sudo shell by using the sudo -s command. I am prompted to enter a password. However, when I type in a or “password” I get “Sorry, try again.”

I am stuck.

Regards,

Bob

You need to set a password in the Users & Groups section of Preferences, then use that password.

• Robert says:

The Robert above, asking about the password is not me. Just trying to avoid confusion and making things clear.

72. Abdou says:

Hello mate,
    First, I want to thank you for this great job, keep going :)

Could you please tell me when you will release the next version of the OS X vmware image?

Thanks again :)

73. Chad says:

I wanted to know if you are going to release aLion with Xcode installed? I have tried to install it through the App store with no success. I have an ftp site you could use if you like. Thanks in advance : )

Why is it unsuccessful?

• Chad says:

I feel like a total id10t!!!
        I was using someone else’s virtual drive.
        My apologies. I have yours loaded up and am trying it as we speak. Thx.

• Chad says:

This is the error I get now:
        VMware Workstation cannot open one of the virtual disks needed by this VM because it is larger than the maximum file size supported by the host file system. Some remote file systems do not support files larger than 2 GB, even though the file system on the server might.

Cannot open the disk ‘\\vmware-host\Shared Folders\Desktop\Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 VMware Image\Mac OS X Lion\Mac OS X Lion.vmdk’ or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

Reason: The file is too large

I am running on a Mac with Win XP in a Virtual machine.
        What I am trying to do is see if this will work on my friends machine. He has no internet connection and I want this to be a seamless install and not have to have hiccups along the way.
        Thx Zach.

• Chad says:

It is unsuccessful in Win7 as well due to the Software Virtualization not working . Please let me know what I can do to fix this. I used the VM fine on my Mac, it just doesn’t work in WinXP or Win7.

74. Kishan Patel says:

I have a problem about installing mac os x 10.7 for intel laptop
    problem is the apple picture screen remains same and installation does not start…
    only dvd is buffering……..
    please can anybody solve my problem….
    and my laptop is sony vaio vpceb44en…
    please please please replay me @
    kishanbhanvadia@gmail.com

75. Chad says:

I used this image on VMware Fusion and it works fine. When I try to use it in WinXP or Win7, the Hardware Virtualization bypasser does not work. I am going to try the 10.7.4 build now. Any help is appreciated.

76. mvb says:

Hi,

I have installed VMWare Workstation 8.0 but when I start the machine the apple logo stays e the OS does not start.
    Apparently there is no problem VMWare is unloccked.
    The 10.7.4 image The apple logo appears but soon the traffic sign “Drive on the wrong side of the road” (sorry if this is wrong I am not american) appears and nothing happens.
    I have an Alienware Intel I7 200K, 16 GB of RAM.
    Thanks in advance

77. Oberdan says:

Hi, first of all, thank you very much for these posts, they help us a lot!
    I’m running version 10.7.3 in a Dell e6410 laptop (VMWare Player 4.0.1) all fine except by the missing of keys / and \ in the laptop ABNT2 keyboard.
    I’ve already tried a lot of keyboard layouts, and the common problems was solved, like ? ‘ and other common keys but, when I press the / or \ key, not happens.
    Do someone know how to solve this?
    Tks
    Oberdan

78. Veeru says:

Hi,
    This has worked perfectly for me, until i updated accidentally to 10.7.4. The boot up time is ridiculous, takes about an hour to boot, but it eventually boots. I just don’t know how to solve this, any suggestions?

I know you have recently released 10.7.4 vmware, but i have installed so much stuff into 10.7.3 and updated to 10.7.3, it will just be hassle to re-install everything again.

What i have been doing for now is, never shut down the virtual machine, always suspend, so i dont have to wait for it to boot.

79. Nelson says:

Hi, I followed all the instructions up until powering on the virtual machine. Then I get a pop up that says

“The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. Power off or reset the virtual machine.”

How do I fix this?

Thanks.

80. Oren says:

Thank you very match!
    It was very easy and very clear how to do it,
    Keep doing good things ;)

81. ZappyF says:

Thanks ZackehSoul for all your work on this!
    I have managed to get everything to work in VMware workstation 8.0.3 but when I try to install the latest xcode from the app store it says downloading in launch pad but shows a gray bar in the purchases tab in the app store where it should give the downloading percentage and says “You have not yet purchased any apps yet.”

Does anyone know why this happens? Please help.

Thanks.

• ZappyF says:

Apparently xcode still downloads in launchpad and installs as expected, even with the bizarre app store behavior. You just gotta give it some time with the 1.5 Gb download.

82. Dave says:

Thanks for sharing….. Did everything step by step… cant get the host to work… is it because I am using AMD Semprom 64bit? thanks again..

83. Lucio Feitoza says:

found already.
    just followed the instructions on

84. George says:

quick question:

Is it correct that the image seems to be 32 bit?

Can I just change vmware setting for this guest osx from 32bit to corresponding 64bit?

I tried it and the guest osx 10.7.3 seemed to work fine. Just checking to see if this is ok, or I should expect some problem down the road.

Thanks,

George

85. Jon says:

All works beautifully – even supports my printer…..got xcode working….but comamnd line git doesn’t work – and i’m unable to amend the path, change profile information, or even run scripts from the command line – it pretends they aren’t there :(

Is this a permissions thing? I tried a sudo and its asked me for a password, return didn’t work :(

86. Dipen Chauhan says:

Thank you for doing this.
    Im running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 in VMware Workstation 8.0.2 build-591240.

Everything was working fine even Fit Guest Now until I installed VMsvga2

After installing that package, FIt Guest Now has been grayed out.

I have also installed VMWare tools and it has not solved the problem.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

87. Ahmad Alsaleh says:

Just to help you out my hardware specifications are:
    -Asus Motherboard P8H61M LX (http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8H61M_LX/)
    -Intel Core i5-2400 Processor (http://ark.intel.com/products/52207/Intel-Core-i5-2400-Processor-(6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz))
    -SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7750 1GB GDDR5 (http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1159&pid=1454&psn=&lid=1&leg=0)

I hope this is enough information for you.

Thanks in advance.

88. Mikie says:

I have a prblem vith password in settings, so I can’t install anything…can someone help me?

89. Robert W says:

Thanks for this fantastic share and tut. Everything went smoothly and everything works great except for one odd problem. I can’t log into iCloud. I also tried logging in to iCloud via Safari at icloud.com but in both cases it tells me I have the wrong password or username. I have no problem logging on in Windows but for some reason no go in 10.7.4 VM.

Any suggestions?

90. flixblixclix says:

Hey zact,

Could u pls tell me the procedure to upgrade from 10.7.3 to 10.8 in vmware workstation. I have installed the version 10.7.3 in vmware instead of just a run from vmdk file.

91. 9voltsaint says:

When trying to install xcode I keep getting the following message:

Xcode is trying to install Apple-provided software. Type your password to allow this.

User: Lion User
    Password:

What’s the password, it does not default to a blank entry?

92. Abed says:

I am running VMWare Workstation v 8.0.4 build-744019, did anyone try to run Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 in this VMware version without any problems, does the unlocker work.
    If any one tried this before; i really appreciate your response

That’s the version I use to test stuff, both the VMware version and the image. It should work just fine.

93. elie says:

thanks and good job.
    but can i play this image using VMWare player V.4.0.1
    without having VMWare workstation

94. davendra says:

thanks man its work…………………………..

95. Reza says:

Hi
    What is the password for Lion User?
    All the time you said there is no password but there is. Just run this command in the terminal.
    “sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist”
    Then it’ll ask for the password and you stuck in there.

96. Reza says:

Hi every body, there is no password, just go to the “Users and Groups” then click on change password and put the old password empty and enter the new password, the password will be changed.

97. Noah says:

Hey guys, I got the Mac 10.7.3 for vmware a while ago. I just reinstalled it because I wanted to use “Keynote”. Dös anyone know if it is possible to install it on this running Mac 10.7.3?
    Thanks in advance

98. aafi says:

its working on my Dell inspiron N5050 i3. I have 2 questions.

1: How can i get 1366×768 resolution?
    2: Hoe can i update to safari 6?

i`m using any mac build for the very first time so help would be highly appreciated. Thank you so much.